The Fault in Our Stars: A Movie Review


This is not a discussion post. Not really.

Anyway, I really had not expected to catch this movie on the big screen because ever since the release, I've tried to find ways to see it right away but failed in all said attempts but this Sunday, I got to drag my family to the mall to watch it with me! And I'm talking about it on the blog because why not!!! Also because I need someone to talk to about this and what more perfect place than on the book blog, yeah? Let's do this!

(This isn't the official theater poster but the size is more appropriate for the blog so...)
What was the movie about?
  • The movie is basically an adaptation of John Green's very famous novel of the same title and it's about two teenagers and their one sick love story.
  • Okay, that was me trying to be humorous. I think I failed. So here, have The Fault in Our Stars' IMDb page instead.

How did you come up about on watching it?
  • I read the novel about a year ago and I wasn't so crazy about it like everybody else was, but the buzz people were making for its movie adaptation was insane and very, very intriguing I had to see it!

What did you think of it?
  • Let me start off this review by praising the fact that the movie stayed true to the book. It's the closest I've seen so far and oh my god, this deserve all the awards.
  • Now that we're on the "staying true to the novel" talk, let me just say this one other thing: there were so many scenes, especially those in Amsterdam, that turned out to be exactly just like how I imagined it and it's magical. It's just so so good. 
  • Just like I had done in my Divergent movie review, I'm giving dibs to Shailene and her acting skills. She's an amazing, amazing artist. I love how in-character she is in all her projects (as far as my novel-to-movie-adaptation knowledge is concerned, that is). I didn't initially agree of her playing Hazel, but I saw the movie and, wow. She isn't perfect, but she certainly got a Hazel spirit in her and that's what's important.
  • Ansel Elgort. He still isn't the perfect Gus, but he did so well. He's made a new character out of Augustus Waters. Novel!Gus is (was?) possessing this sort-of rebel and freakish side for me, but movie!Gus turned out to be dorky in a way. I don't mean this as a bad thing, it's actually refreshing. I learned to appreciate and love it. Just in a critical sense, movie!Gus was a little (if not lots) different from the novel!Gus, but it worked for me.
  • I thought the delivery of the line "Perhaps 'okay' will be our 'always'." was off? I thought it didn't really fit into the flow of the dialogue and that it's forced--said just for the sake of saying the ever-famous quote.
  • I loved how Hazel broke news of Gus's death. It was just like the novel's. I felt for the aura of the novel at that part so much. (I'm so sorry, I can't even write about the love I have for that aspect properly.)
  • The sobfest. I watched the movie about a week after if first careened its way on the big screen for the world to see and so by that time, I've heard a lot of things about it. Most of which regards how much tissue you're gonna need when you watched it. I did need tissues. And it was bad. I'll be lying if I said that I didn't freak out when the lights started to turned off in the cinema and the first scene opened up. I was so excited I almost cried, but I didn't. Because I figured I might as well save them for the last. And dang well was I right. I expected myself to be full-on sobbing whilst the movie was running--you might have thought the same as well--but no, I felt this very strong urge to start breaking down whilst the credits rolled off. Long story short, I left the cinema with my eyes puffy.
  • [SPOILER?] "Okay, Hazel Grace?" "Okay..." *cue hardcore sobbing*

Favorite scene:
  • It's so hard to choose one because everything's amazing, but I'm gonna have to say the Anne Frank house scene, because that one in my particular, it's exactly the way I imagined it when I read the novel and oh my god, amazing everywhere!!

What did you learn from the movie? (If you did learn anything)
  • I learned that I could actually like a movie more than I did the novel.

Rate it by rubber ducks:
four ducks!



Last words:
  • (I can see the stars from the Philippines.)
  • If I were given the chance to watch this in the cinema again soon, I will. It's my new Beautiful Creatures (aka the movie adaptation I'd want to see over and over and over again).

'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment