Second Chance Summer: A Review

Wella! Another GIF header! Cool, huh? This wasn't actually what I was planning to do, but I couldn't find any resources to capture the result I wanted, so I succumbed to using one of my old graphics instead and then added some shenanigans to it to make it look at least a little nicer. I'm not so sure about the text, though... Is it blinding that the stroke's color changes?

Enough about the header talk. The weekend I read this, I went on a very emotional roller coaster ride. Thanks to this book. (...I'm out of words for intro. So, let's get on with it!) I'm reviewing Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson.


What do you think is under the title?
  • I don't think it needs explaining or interpretation because the title is pretty much what sums the whole story up.

In general:
  • ...I don't even know. I am filled with emotions.

Why?
I'm gonna keep this short. Because I really don't know what to say about it.
  • So, let's first talk about the plot.  I liked it. A lot. It's the perfect mix of everything you could hope for for a Summer read. Also, I've not read sob-inducing novels for quite a time now and to be honest, I liked it. No matter how much this novel tormented me.
  • The writing! Do I need to tell you again how much I enjoy Morgan Matson's writing? It's one of those novels that don't start of by sweeping you up your feet right away, rather, it's as though the main character gives you an ample amount of introduction before diving into the real thing, and even though it bores me a lot sometimes, it finds its way to my heart.
  • The characters. I love love (almost) love everyone in this novel. I found Taylor very relateable in terms of personality and way of thinking, and I thought she's very adorable too. Taylor's family is just very much modern family-like in ways that's both fictional and real. (For me, anyway.) I wasn't really fond of Taylor's siblings at first, but they grew on me as the story drags on. Taylor's mother was well, a mother--I don't say this as a bad thing (because we all know how special mothers are). Taylor's relationship with her father is everything I want in life. I've mentioned before that I'm not so close to my father, which is still pretty much right there--although we do spend some time being funny and stupid together, there's just a huge hole waiting to be filled and I found the exact opposite of my father and mine's relationship to Taylor's and her dad.
  • Take note how I put family before romance on the genre section of this review. It's because the main focus of this novel is the main character's family and not her love life (I mean, there is romance, but if you weigh them, it's more of the family that this novel focuses on.). Which I love so much. This is actually one of the reasons why I love Morgan Matson's books. She gives us everything we could look for in a book. The humor, the adventure, the romance, the friendships, and the family.
  • The romance. I didn't really get into it--either it was because my focus was on the filial part of the novel, or it felt just a little bit rushed to me. I mean, I liked it, but it just felt a little off for me...
  • I liked the little Amy (and Roger) cameo! I really, really wondered as to what would have happened to their relationship with that "we'll figure something out" conclusion, and I'm glad we got this. It was enough of an answer for me. (Also, the cameo reminded me of how much I missed them.)
  • I've read a lot of blurbs and reviews saying I needed tissues. You lied! NOBODY SAID I NEEDED A TOWEL. (I'm totally kidding about the tissues thing. It's true, you do. But I happened to run out of tissues and the only thing I had was a towel, so that's where the river flowed.)

Quotes you liked:
“The thing is that people only get hurt—really hurt—when they’re trying to play it safe. That’s when people get injured, when they pull back at the last second because they’re scared. They hurt themselves and other people.” 

“What was the point of trying to run away if people were going to insist on reminding you of what you were running from?” 


“But one thing that I was learning about what happened when you stuck around—it usually seemed that other people were willing to stick by you as well.”  

“Love isn't all we need--love is all there is.”

Make a three to five song playlist for the novel:

Rate it by stars/rubber ducks:
four ducks!


Would you recommend it?
  • Yes! But make sure to prepare a lot of tissues and/or a towel. Or a teddy bear to hold.

Last words:
  •  To be honest, this reminded me so much of Tuesdays With Morrie and I'd be lying if I said that it didn't hurt me even more thinking about it.
  • Right after I read this, my brain literally shut down all sorts of human communication. If you call that a book hangover, I don't know, but this novel certainly affected me in more ways than I could have imagined.
  • [SPOILER] The meteor shower scene got me bawling most especially. That "Daddy, I love you." scene ruined my emotional capacity completely. 

'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment