BOOK REC: Love & Misadventure (Lang Leav)

-
For this month's Fictional Fourth Week, I'm giving you something that isn't a novel. I'm giving you a poetry book. I don't know a lot of readers from school but last year, this one got pretty famous among my classmates. Probably because it's a poetry book--therefore short, or that because it's about love. Or because there are drawings. Either way, here's Love & Misadventure by Lang Leav!


Love & Misadventure, Lang Leav
book information (first edition):
  • pub date: April 26th, 2013
  • pub house: LM
  • genre: poetry, love, romance, young adult
  • book description:
Lang Leav is a poet and internationally exhibiting artist. Awarded a coveted Churchill Fellowship, her work expresses the intricacies of love and loss. Beautifully illustrated and thoughtfully conceived, Love and Misadventure will take you on a rollercoaster ride through an ill-fated love affair- from the initial butterflies to the soaring heights- through to the devastating plunge. Lang Leav has an unnerving ability to see inside the hearts and minds of her readers. Her talent for translating complex emotions with astonishing simplicity has won her a cult following of devoted fans from all over the world.

I love love love poetry! Sad to say, though, I've not read a lot of young adult stuff that's purely poetry (I mean, I stumbled into a few but still) and so I got so excited when I heard about this one and got even more excited upon knowing that one of my friends purchased a copy after about a week or two since I so wanted to be able to read it.

So then, obviously, L&M doesn't have a plot or a particular story flow. It's basically just a collection of poems about love and the different things in it. (One-sided love, admiration, requited love--basically those sorts of stuff. Even love for words and books and angels.)

I, for one, couldn't call it "relateable", since I'm a reader of sympathy, not empathy, but I love the way Lang Leav writes her poems. She writes them in a way that even though you have little to no clue how it actually is, you feel a twinge in your gut as if it's happening to you. I think it's powerful, and I love it.

It's divided into three parts that I can't quite remember anymore--since I read it last February--but I remember liking the first and second parts most. They're about admiring things and people, and although I've no interest in the topic in real life, it's interesting to see/read about people writing about this thing called love and the other things that surrounds it.

I don't know what else to say, but Love & Misadventure is basically amazing. I love the very few but beautiful illustrations, the poems are so so so beautifully written and it's perfection. Everybody needs even at least one poetry book in their shelf, and this could be that one.

How about you guys, any poetry book you love and would recommend? Tell me in the comments below!


No comments:

Post a Comment