Allegiant: A very spoiler-y Review


(say 'hello' to my laptop wallpaper!)
What's up!?? I am so sorry for not being able to put anything up last week, I had read two books during that time, actually, but I didn't feel the need or want to review them because I didn't like both books so much.

So for this week, I'm reviewing Allegiant (which, if you haven't noticed yet is somehow where I got my URL)!

Under the cut is a very spoiler-y review. As to this is where I'm gonna actually put all the feelings down because I am really not okay and the wounds these series left me are still fresh. So yeah, if you haven't read Allegiant yet, please, I beg of you, don't read this post and stop yourself from clicking the damn 'read more button. I don't want to spoil you on any level, okay? (Because damn, guys, this is serious matter.) I swear, I'm gonna put so much spoilers under the cut.

What do you think is under the title?
  • The Allegiant is a "revolutionary" group who wants the factions back after chaos broke down in Chicago (you know, the Dauntless army? That? And the whole of Insurgent, I suppose) and the people are left factionless with Evelyn as leader.
Summarize the story in your own words:
  • I can't summarize Allegiant. But it's basically about the characters dealing with the aftereffects of what happened in Insurgent and discovering more and more secrets that had veiled their world and whole existence. (Yes, let me be as vague as the actual summary given.)
In general: (didn't like it, okay, liked it, loved it)
  • I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO FEEL. I am a mess.I suppose I liked it.
Why?
  • Let's talk about the plot first. The plot was... okay. It was a little difficult for me to adapt into it for quite a time (maybe because I had not reread Divergent and Insurgent because the gap between the Insurgent and Allegiant isn't long of a time in the story duration) so I was pretty much lost. The part where all the genes talk come out! I liked it, but not so much. I found it very interesting. It made me feel like the Divergent series is a dystopia in a dystopia which is really cool, but I'm not quite a biology fan (yeah, I suck) and I sort of started to see Reached in the concept and that made things boring for a while. I think Allegiant is more of a brain-using book. As to it needs some understanding to actually get what they're talking about with the genes.
  • Four's POV. It was... okay too. Maybe not worth the anticipation. Because sometimes, (no offense) he's too much of a white girl. He's too insecure and whiny and I don't like it. Although he has some sassy times (with sassy Peter) and they were ridiculous. He's made such a big deal of this genetically damaged thing that he feels like he has to prove himself to, well, himself and that's insane; because he thinks him being not actually Divergent is such a big loss and that's just rubbish.
  • Fourtris bickering. Which is quite a lot in this novel, by the way. I sided with Tris in all of them. Like I mentioned on the previous bullet, Four lets his genetically damaged state in the way too much and that's just stupid of him. Especially that one fight about him cooperating with Nita's vague plan, I knew Tris was telling the truth and I got so insanely mad during that Four chapter wherein the consequences of his wrong choice feel upon him and he went all 'Tris was right' and blah, blah, blah. Four was stupid and right then and there, I just wanted to bonk his head on a wall and knock him unconscious.
  • Character deaths. ...I cannot take it. I refuse to believe any of it. (Guys, I am taking this very seriously and I tell you, this novel scarred me--in a good way) For Tori and Uriah, no. Just no. I cannot believe that that's just the end of it. Their deaths were too... uneventful, plain, I don't know. I didn't really like Tori, but she's contributed so much it's just not easy to ignore her, you know? I remember hating her during Insurgent but I felt really bad when she died. Uriah! I've been spoiled on this one. So yeah guess what, I didn't cry. Okay, maybe I did. Several times, about his death. Now this, this death I really cannot accept because he can't just die that easily! I mean, he's... Uriah. He doesn't just die! Not because of just some fucking wall. I will not get over this in a long time. HE was one of my favorite characters because he's a light character. That despite everything they're going through, he just smiles and jokes all of it off and it's all good and I like that.
  • Now let's proceed to Tris. I've been spoiled on this one by a friend as well. And it fucking hurt. Like so much. I remember my best friends and I talking on about that either Four or Tris are gonna die and well, it did happen. Her death was heartbreaking, but under all of it is something bigger, something brave, something selfless and I think it goes down well and pretty deep. It takes such huge urge and risk to take to kill your major character, but Veronica Roth did it. I think it was really brave of her. I don't know why this book receives such negative reviews. It was such a huge leap Veronica took for this one. I actually have waited for a novel where in the main character dies and here we are. As heart broken, sad and depressed I am about her passing, I think it was a huge something that Tris decides to do this. Veronica Roth made a blog post about it on her blog to explain this further and it helped me feel a bit lighter about this. This post made me just want to stand up and applaud her even more. Because she gave Tris life. There's this thing about writing where in they say that if your character is good, it will like have a life on its own, wherein she has her own directions and choices in life and all you have to do is write them down. I think this is how it is with Tris. Somehow, she's almost become a real person. I can feel her. (Did that sound weird? I hope not.) And it's an amazing feeling. I will most definitely miss Tris. I had mixed feelings for her ever since Divergent. I liked her and I disliked her. But that's who she is. This character is going mark in my brain for life. And this is how she wants us to remember her:
“Can I be forgiven for all I've done to get here?
I want to be.
I can.
I believe it.”
  • And I will remember her. Not just that way.
  • The ending! There's Four. Without a Tris. And that depresses me. But we have to move on. It hurts me, actually, seeing Four miserable of the loss. But to be honest, I think I would've handled it easier if he died. (So sorry, Four fans) Because I don't know, I just feel like so. Maybe because throughout the series we see Tris actually develop and seeing things end hurt but  I feel really bad for him. But I liked the part where in he goes back home, shaves his head, tries to drink the memory serum  and Christina rushes in and they converse like this:
Four: Things have changed. I'm all right with it.                      
Christina: No, you're not. You can't become a person she would hate. And she would've hated this.                                                                             Four: Shut up! You don't know what she would hate; you didn't know her,   you--                                                                                                         Christina: I know enough! I know she wouldn't want you to erase her from your memory like she didn't even matter to you!
  • (continuation of previous bullet) It made me wail so, so hard.
  • The epilogue. This part occurs two years later and we see Four moving on. And that's good. I liked seeing everyone move on after such a tragic and heart breaking event that I feel some load heave off of my chest.
  • Overall. It was amazing. Things didn't happen the way we all are expecting and that's a perfect twist to the series.
Favorite scene:
  • <whispers> Fourtris sex </whispers> I'm kidding. :(
  • I don't have a particular favorite scene but what got stuck in my mind (besides the tings I mentioned above) is when Four described how Evelyn always sat on the edge of things, like always ready to flight. I don't know why, but that had struck me.
  • Oh, maybe the time when Four finally went ziplining? It was... liberating. It felt good and I loved it.
Least favorite scene:
  • There's none.None that I can think of, that is.
One quote you liked:
There's a lot, so I'm putting 'em up on bullet form.
  • "so what difference does that make, meaning or not meaning to do something? Accident or purpose, the result is the same,"
  • "To me, when someone wrongs you, you both share the burden of that wrongdoing - the pain of it weighs on both of you. Forgiveness, then, means choosing to bear the full weight all by yourself."
  •  “You don’t believe things because they make your life better, you believe them because they’re true.”
  • "Sometimes all I want is to be a few inches taller so the world doesn't look like a dense collection of torsos."

Make a three to five song playlist for the novel:
Rate it by stars/rubber ducks:

Would you recommend it?

  • The Divergent series? Yes.
  • Allegiant? Sure, but let me tell you this, you're in for a wild ride.
  • (I don't know why it's still necessary to have answered this when surely, you would have read this review if you're already done with the series, but maybe this applies to other people.)
  • (And if you're someone who has not read Allegiant yet, you little prick. You spoiled yourself, I am so sorry.)
Last words:
  • So that's it. The end of the Divergent trilogy.
  • You know, I take it too seriously when I end a book series because they've played/they're playing a huge part in my life one way or another and this trilogy, of course, is no exception.
  • It's been such an amazing, amazing adventure I've gotten through with these novels and I'm pretty sure I'd want to get back that ride over again. Maybe not now, but someday.
  • For me, finishing a series is like ending another chapter in life. That you've got to move on and remember & carry the memories, values and lessons you learned while taking on the train.
  • Personally, Divergent is something for me. I remember whilst reading Allegiant I remember actually questioning my own world about certain things and woop-- I'm getting too personal, sorry.
  • Let me show you my bitches:
 
  • See that chipped white part on the cover of Insurgent? My classmate used his handkerchief as catapult-ish and smacked that baby, putting up a hole on it. 
  • Fun fact: the hole/chipped part is (weirdly) shaped like The United States of America. Minus Hawaii and Alaska. But I really wouldn't want to put more holes in it just to put up the whole of America so, nevermind.
  • Final words: Thank you, Veronica Roth for this amazing adventure! I will always treasure these babies you brought in our lives-- despite the constant achy breaky heart moments.
P.S. I'm gonna miss Tris soooo much. :(
'Til next time!!

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment