Fangirl: A Review




Wella, guys and gals! (okay, I have no more words, let's proceed to the review proper.)

What do you think is under the title?
  • It'a about somebody living the fangirl life. :-)
Summarize the story in your own words:
  • Meet Cath (as in Cather) Avery. She's eighteen and an avid fan of the Simon Snow saga. She's supported the novels all the way through, caught on movie premieres, owns a lot of Simon Snow merch and most of all, she writes fan fiction. She's got an identical twin, Wren, and they're off to college; and Wren is starting to find a new life, adventures and seem to drift off from the fandom. But Cath keeps up to herself. Now we follow her first year in college adventures as she finds her own new things in life.
In general: (didn't like it, okay, liked it, loved it)
  • I liked it very much
Why?
  • The cover! It's just really beautiful. The colors are pleasing to the eyes and I thought it looks really smooth and simple.
  • You can very much relate to it--to Cath, more specifically. Because I for one, can and also those bibliophile introverts who are very well kept and in their self. You can relate to Cath in a way that she has insecurities, and you can see it. She tend to hide under the shadow of her vivacious twin and keep things to herself. And well, that's pretty much a lot of stereotyped-nerds we have nowadays.
  • The characters. They're all special and adorable in their own ways. I loved Reagan and their Dad the most out of the side characters. Reagan was just sassy and badass everywhere. Their dad was well, broken, but he was a cool dad.
  • The fangirl-ness of it all. 
  • Cath and Levi. I didn't really ship them so much during the beginning of their relationship. Although I can see it coming, I just didn't feel them together. But the ship proved me wrong. It/They was/were adorable and fun. (Although there's too much touching in my opinion [cringe])
  • I ship Jandro and Wren too.
  • And that part when Cath and Wren got their copies of The Eighth Dance at release date. (Ah, I wanna feel that feeling.)
  • Fangirl was witty, well-written accurate and very much relate-able IT actually speaks to our inner fangirl hearts and make us feel things. This is the first novel I've read of Rainbow Rowell and I think it's safe to say that I'll probably read more of her works.
Favorite scene:
  • That time when Cath met a girl who happens to be a fan of her fan fiction! (Another one, the first time Levi brought Cath to his room.)
Least favorite scene:
  • I can't think of any. I don't think this bullet is applicable for this review.
One quote you liked:
“I don’t trust anybody. Not anybody. And the more that I care about someone, the more sure I am they’re going to get tired of me and take off.”
“Sometimes writing is running downhill, your fingers jerking behind you on the keyboard the way your legs do when they can’t quite keep up with gravity.” 
“Have you ever heard sculptors say that they don’t actually sculpt an object; they sculpt away everything that isn’t the object?” 
“Underneath this veneer of slightly crazy and mildly socially retarded, I'm a complete disaster.”
Make a three to five song playlist for the novel:
Rate it by stars/rubber ducks:

Would you recommend it?

  • Sure.
Last words:
  • I read this novel mostly at school and my classmates often pass by me, read the novel's title and say, "Oh my god! I can so relate to that one!" A note: I don't think so. I'm not demeaning you guys, but even though the novel's name is "Fangirl" (which is what most girls consider themselves as one nowadays, doesn't necessarily mean that you can actually "relate" to it. Like I said before, there's a very huge range of being a "fangirl". And this one on the novel is one who'd you'd most probably stereotype as nerds, or geeks or whatever shit names you use to call introverted bibliophiles. I know this is more like a route less argument, but I just want to put out that there are a lot different stuff behind a single thing.
  • This novel reminded me so much of Anna and The French Kiss (look, a review!)

'Til next time!

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment