Why We Broke Up: A Review



What do you think is under the title?
  • Reasons as to why Min and Ed broke up.

Summarize the story in your own words:
  • Why We Broke Up follows the reasons as to why Min and Ed broke up. It's basically a letter written by Min plus a box of stuff she had collected throughout their relationship. Wherein Min dumps all of it (plus maybe her heartbreak) on Ed's front porch.

In general: (didn't like it, okay, liked it, loved it)
  • I liked it.

Why?
  • The narration. Min's character was cool and I thought she was unique. With the fascination with classic movies and stuff.
  • The unusual method of writing. There's this novel in my to-read list entitle Chopsticks and the story is told with photos, collages and illustrations and I sort of thought of that novel whilst reading this one. It's always a rush of cold breeze when I encounter novels like that.
  • THE PLOT TWIST. Now that is what I call a plot twist. A major one, actually. I was literally gaping and had to close the book for a few minutes just to let that sink in.
  • I remember when I was just starting out with Why We Broke Up and how those chaps ending with "and that, Ed, is why we broke up" always confused me. Because they were just so adorable! I loved Min and Ed so much! And then bam! the plot twist suddenly happened and it felt like you've been dumped. Like you caught your best friend getting all touchy with someone really special to you and it's like they've dumped the world on your head to balance or getting stabbed in the gut until you're numb. That was crazy. I swear to everything I have not seen that coming until it's right in front of me. So then after that one, I backread, and it all made sense.

Favorite scene:
  • That scene when they stole sugar from this fancy restaurant. Actually, that whole day.

Least favorite scene:
  • The party scene. (Was that Halloween? I can't remember if that was a Halloween event)

One quote you liked:
“The thing with your heart's desire is that your heart doesn't even know what it desires until it turns up.”
“Stop saying no offense when you say offensive things. It’s not a free pass.”  

Make a three to five song playlist for the novel:

Rate it by stars/rubber ducks:

3.5 ducks because it wasn't really my cup of tea, but I liked it a lot! :-)
Would you recommend it?
  • Yes!! I have never experienced getting my heart broken, as people say this novel was supposed to do, but!
Last words:
  • The first two songs on the playlist: those were the songs that stuck on my mind through the process reading the novel.
  • sORRY I MISSED [not book review-]THEMED POST THIS WEEK. I had a (not computer-using related) busy week.

'Til next time!
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment