It's Kind of A Funny Story: A Review

Not the best header I've managed to create, but I literally have no idea about how I would make this week's review header. (Actually, I did have an idea, but I've finished this one long after a new idea popped into my head, so... sorry, idea.)

Anyway!! Hello. A lot of things happened this week, but let's not talk about that. So. Without further ado, here's my review for It's Kind of A Funny Story by Ned Vizzini!



What do you think is under the title?
  • It's entitled as such because well, let's face it: it really is one story that's kind of funny. (Okay hah I suck.)

In general: (didn't like it, okay, liked it, loved it)
  • I love it. So much.

Why?
  • The concept. Even before I was halfway through this novel, I knew it was going to be of big help for me. And darn, was I right. I've been going through a lot of stress the past week and I really needed a heartwarming novel. While this isn't exactly what I wanted and what I was looking for, it gave me exactly just what I needed and that's probably one of the best things ever.
  • Let us talk about the characters. I loved Craig so much. He's just very relateable. I know that a lot of teenagers (including me) can see themselves in him. Especially those who struggle so much to achieve what they think of as their ultimate goal, getting close to it, only to realize that they can't handle the pressure. Craig is a very witty character. There's a blurb behind the novel where it says that it's "a book about depression that's not the least bit depressing", and I agree. Thanks to the witty and [sort of] humorous voice which is our main character. The minor characters are all just as amazing too. I love how supportive Craig's family is of his state and the decisions he makes. And his fellow patients as well. They're all very unique and special and just so colorful and human.
  • The plot + writing style. I dig it. Honestly, the synopsis really doesn't say much and it matters so greatly to me if the synopsis is good or bad in my opinion, but I dove into this novel, anyway. And then the novel devoured me alive, sucking me into the pages that made up Craig's world and mind, and I loved it. The writing style is so teenager-ish, you can feel for Craig so much. Also, he's a guy. And it's nice to read about guy thoughts sometimes.
  • The ending. I cried. Not a sobfest, but there just might have been a river of tears that flowed out of my eyes during that time. Those were happy tears, though. You know that feeling when you're when you're reading [Crank by Ellen Hopkins] and you get so emotionally invested in a character, then you witness them let their lives go down the drain and you can't help but feel so horrible for that certain character going down? The ending of this novel feels like that. Except the complete opposite. It's like getting emotionally invested in a character and you just see them, like, graduate out of their misery and you just want to stand up, applaud and then give them a hug. Isn't that one of the most beautiful feelings?
  • It's Kind of A Funny Story definitely flew its way to my list of favorite books. It's just perfect. It taught me so much and opened my eyes to a lot of things. It helped me go through possibly the biggest episode of existential crisis I ever had and it's bound to be kept in heart for a long, long time.

Quotes you liked:

  • Honestly, if I could quote the whole book, I would.
“Life's not about feeling better, it's about getting the job done.” 
“Dreams are only dreams until you wake up and make them real.”
“I'm smart but not enough--just smart enough to have problems.”
“Some of the most profound truths about us are things that we stop saying in the middle.”  
“I’m not better, you know. The weight hasn’t left my head. I feel how easily I could fall back into it, lie down and not eat, waste my time and curse wasting my time, look at my homework and freak out and go and chill at Aaron’s, look at Nia and be jealous again, take the subway home and hope that it has an accident, go and get my bike and head to the Brooklyn Bridge. All of that is still there. The only thing is, it’s not an option now. It’s just… a possibility, like it’s a possibility that I could turn to dust in the next instant and be disseminated throughout the universe as an omniscient consciousness. It’s not a very likely possibility.”

Make a three to five song playlist for the novel:

Rate it by stars/rubber ducks:

five ducks!

Would you recommend it?
  • Yes! Every person needs to read this novel--especially the teenagers.

Last words:
  • If you've gone on my personal blog this week, then you might have seen a post about me talking about my Anchors.
  • I watched the movie sometime this week and I LOVE it! It's almost just as perfect as the novel and gahhh, I have new favorite book + movie. You have to see it.


'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment