The Geography of You and Me: A Review


After the long wait! I finally got my copy and am able to finish it before the month of its release ends. And so without further ado, here is the post wherein I talk about Jennifer E. Smith's latest novel: The Geography of You and Me.

What do you think is under the title?
  • It's clear from the title that the story is more or less about long distance relationships!

In general: (didn't like it, okay, liked it, loved it)
  • I liked it a lot!

Why?
  • First off, as usual, I'm gonna have to give a standing ovation to the author's beautiful writing style. It's not so much of a secret that I don't usually go for novels told in the third person perspective, but Jennifer E. Smith never forgets to turn the tables.
  • Haaaave I mentioned before that I'm in love with the covers of her books!? (circa The Statistical Probability to present) They're just simple and gorgeous! (I love how only one color highlights the whole photo.)
  • It's actually pretty funny and amusing how very little the summary/blurb gives away about the novel. Days before I go to reading it, I tended to read the blurb a lot to keep track of what I am expecting from the novel whilst reading it. Well I'd hate to disappoint, but it didn't exactly sync with my expectations. In fact, it gave me more than I could have ever expected. The blurb is very misleading, I tell you, but it's better that you could ever expect it to be. I thought of this as another one of those long-distance relationships. As in the main characters trying to do their best to communicate with each other and stay in touch, but man, was I wrong.
  • I'm not really a fan of those "love at first sight" sweethearts, but when it comes to Jennifer Smith's novels, they're the cutest things I could ever lay my eyes upon on. There just is something about her writing that makes everything seem so serene and innocent and beautiful, and I love those. I like how her characters narrate using the third person, but despite that, they all feel like actual humans. Plus, I think there's something with the way she writes that makes the world easier and nicer to live in.
  • I liked Owen a lot! He is very different from Graham (from This is What Happy Looks Like) and Oliver (from The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight). [I don't usually compare characters apart from each other, but seems to me, a lot of people who's read all three of the stated novels tend to weigh them a lot, I suppose it wouldn't hurt for me to have a say on it.] I liked the fact that Jennifer Smith found the will to write about a rather more average male lead. Not to say that either of the other two are not. (Well, technically not anyway. Because Graham's a celebrity and Oliver is, well, British and possibly swoony in so many ways.) But what I mean is that I felt for Owen the most. Because he's striving, he's dealing with issues that most people deal with as well. Also, his character is just overall someone you could relate to and I think I've been wanting to see a male lead like him since who knows when.
  • There's this thing about the long-distance relationship couples I've read so much about lately about when they talk about the "what happens next" and the answer would always be, "we'll figure something out", and I don't like it [personally]. I don't like the not knowing. The for now they go with the flow then the "we'll figure something out" part comes. But as much as I dislike it, it's as much that I get it. It's frustrating, really, but I suppose these types of novels just send me the message that's to say that that's how life is. We'll always live in the not knowing and then figure something out when the instances come along. 
  • What I love so much about Jennifer E. Smith's novels are that they don't solely focus on romance alone, but to the main characters' family relationships as well.
  • The Geography of You and Me is probably my favorite out of all the three Jennifer Smith novels I've read so far. If you're in for a realistic and gushy romance, you're going to enjoy this. It gives will give you everything you could have hoped for, and more.

Quotes you liked:
"there's no such thing as a completely fresh start. Everything new arrives on the heels of something old, and every beginning comes at the cost of an ending.” 
“There's a difference between loneliness and solitude.” 
“You can't know the answer until you ask the question.” 

Make a three to five song playlist for the novel:

Rate it by stars/rubber ducks:
four ducks!


Would you recommend it?
  • Yes! Yes! Yes!

Last words:
  • I'm so glad I got to read right away! You have no idea how much I anticipated for this novel.
  • Thank you so so much, Ms. Jennifer E. Smith for the copy (and hosting the giveaway on goodreads)!

'Til next time!


:--)

No comments:

Post a Comment