To All The Boys I've Loved Before: A Review

I've waited for quite a time to be able to read this because of all this university preparations going on, but now here it is! I also have been on the lookout for a good contemporary romance and I've got it!

So then here we are, today, I'm reviewing To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han.


 
What do you think is under the title?
  • There's this old song whose title is the same as this novel's and I literally singsong when I see this novel. But yeah, basically, I suppose it's entitled as such because of the letters Lara Jean writes that are meant for the boys she's felt such huge admiration for.

In general: (didn't like it, okay, liked it, loved it)
  • I liked it a lot!

Why?
  • This is the first novel I've read of Jenny Han's. My sister read the Summer trilogy and liked it a lot, but I did a little research about it and figured it wasn't my type of novel (or novels in this case). Yes so anyway, this, again, is one of those novels I bought on impulse. I've not had that kind of hype everybody seemed to have for it, but I liked the cover so much it was impossible to resist.
  • Let us talk about the characters. I liked Lara Jean a lot. (I've been thinking if we can call her either 'Lara' or Jean instead of the whole thing, but it never worked out.) I found her annoying and lots Mary Sue in the beginning, but she just sort of grew on me and then I just started to like her. Peter! Man, the guy's adorbs. He was somewhat of a Gary stu as well. That sometimes he's too nice of a guy I want to gag, but like Lara Jean, he grew on me and then I ended up rotting for him as well.
  • The plot + writing style. To be honest, I wasn't too invested in it. I bought the book mainly because the cover is so enticing, but not so much for the synopsis. Although yes, I ended up liking the novel. I just thought that the 'letters being sent away' wasn't really emphasized as I had thought it would have been. (Because well, the synopsis seemed to only have focused on it.) But to sum this bullet up, I learned to like the plot, and the story as well, but I think I'm not too fond of the writing style.
  • The pacing of the story is fast. And I liked it. It kept me interested and awake enough to anticipate what happens next. Although there were parts in the novel, especially those about ten chapters nearing the last that I found to be ridiculous because I thought there was too much drama and irrelevant, depressing things going on.
  • I liked all the Asian-ness as well! I love the fact that the main character is half-Korean. There's this thing called 'diversity' and it's great how Jenny Han gave us just that. Also, all the Asian cuisines made me very hungry and in need of Korean delicacies. Really.
  • The ending. I loved it!!! It left me grinning and extra jubilant. I'm so glad it ended on a note-really-negative note and I'm curious about what would happen to Peter and Lara Jean. I cannot wait for the next novel!
  • Overall, To All The Boys I've Loved Before is a good novel. Although there were a lot of plot holes and some negative stuff going on, it takes some getting used to. The novels grows on you that you learn to love it.

Quotes you liked:
“Love is scary: it changes; it can go away. That's the part of the risk. I don't want to be scared anymore.” 

"Plenty of people are good-looking. That doesn't make them interesting or intriguing or cool."

Make a three to five song playlist for the novel:

Rate it by stars/rubber ducks:
four ducks!


Would you recommend it?
  • Yes! It's a good book to spend a free time with!

Last words:
  • ...meh
  • Have a great weekend!
  • Oh wait, I have made a twitter account! Go follow it! :)

'Til next time!




No comments:

Post a Comment