No Place Like Oz: A Mini-review


It is, yet again, time for a mini book review! If you haven't seen another post else under the same category, under this header (for the lack of better term), I talk about novellas, wattpad stories that are published that my classmates asked me to read.

Yes, so, for this session (I need a better word.) of random book reviews, I'm talking about the prequel to Danielle Paige's Dorothy Must Die trilogy, No Place Like Oz.

(both images are from Epic Reads)

" They say you can’t go home again. Well, I’m proof that’s not true. Home isn’t just where you’re born—it’s where you belong. I found my home and I let it go. But I came back. Now I was home for good, and I would never, ever make the mistake of leaving again. The past was gone forever. There was no place like here."

This took me more or less three weeks to finish. And it's got less than two hundred pages. I know. Sue me.

I've always loved The Wizard of Oz. I remember way back when I was in about fourth or fifth grade, I made my mom get me a copy of the novel because I was so obsessed with it. (But that was the time when the longest I would read were picture books so yes, I never got to finish it. I've always regretted not finishing it.) Anyway, The Wizard of Oz, if anything, is my childhood, so when I heard about a YA retelling of it, I knew I had to keep my eyes on it.

No Place Like Oz is amazing. Danielle Paige's writing is amazing. She captured Dorothy's voice the way I've imagined in my mind perfectly. I think the twist she's given the story is interesting. I mean, I was still a child when I fell in love with this world, so basically, I've always thought of Dorothy as some kind of hero. But, it seems to me, it's bound to change. Thanks to this upcoming trilogy. I've always been in love with the idea of having other people write about a different story about the canon. (Eg.: fanfiction) I like reading about background stories that never were and this one right here is, in a way, making a background story canon. (This paragraph does not make sense. Let us pretend it never happened. The paragraph that never happened.)

Yes, anyway, if you're a fan of The Wizard of Oz, or retellings, or both, I suggest you give this one a try. The author gave me everything I have expected from the novella. It's certainly a good introduction to a good trilogy.

Four stars out of five because there were some parts I found boring and all-talk, but the experience is still amazing, nonetheless.



'Til next time!

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment