Amy & Roger's Epic Detour: A Review




A summer read for the summer! There are no spoilers under the cut. I promise!


What do you think is under the title?
  • Under the title is the phrase the summarizes the whole of Amy & Roger's trip.

Summarize the story in your own words:
  • After the accident, the last thing Amy Curry would want to do is to talk about it. Or worse, cross the country with a stranger. But she has no choice. Her mother thought it would be best to move out of their home in California and leave everything behind for them to be able to get a "new beginning". So she just goes with it and prepares for the worst. But as the trip goes on, she realizes that it just might be not at all bad and she and Roger decide to go on several "detours" before finally landing in their destinations.

In general: (didn't like it, okay, liked it, loved it)
  • I liked it!!

Why?
  • Let me start off by telling you guys that this is a good read. I purchased my copy last Christmas but I never really got to it until now because I reserved it for my summer. I've seen my friends rate it a decent amount of stars saying that it's a good thing to get for the summer, so there. 
  • The side characters were all very likeable. They have their own stories and distinct personalities. It's actually ridiculous that we all get to meet and know all of them in just a span of a day, because you learn so much about and from them it feels like you've met those characters longer than you actually have.
  • The romance. I thought it was cute but there came a time when it sort of turned me off? I mean, it was obvious that there was gonna be romance and we all know that we just have been waiting for it, but when it happened, I didn't really fall for it. Although if you really pondered on it, you'll realize that after all, the focus of this novel is not the romance, but the sense of living life.
  • This novel wasn't really made to be disliked. When I thought about it, I felt like this novel's purpose is more of telling a story and making you learn things. Not for you to criticize and point on plot holes or anything negative. I don't mean this as a bad thing, I actually liked it. It's good to take a break on the heavy novels sometimes. (I mean, this novel covers sort-of heavy topic such as grief and guilt, but it was approached in a way that isn't too hard on your chest and emotions.)
  • I actually understood Amy. I've read several reviews saying that her way of reacting to things is unrealistic. I disagree. I get the way she faces it. Like trying to get rid of what brings you the memories but at the same time, wanting to see it, savor it because you know that when it's gone, it's actually gone. The guilt part was the one that got to me the most.

Favorite scene:
  • The whole of their Kansas detour. Personally, that was the part with the deepest insights and it touched me in a lot of ways. (I loved Drew's character a lot. His perspectives in life are amazing.)

Least favorite scene:
  • There's none. This book is too good for you to ever not like anything. (Rather, it's a novel that you're not really to dissect for criticism.)

One quote you liked:
 “I'd found out that if you pushed people away hard enough, they tended to go.”

 “The best discoveries always happened to the people who weren't looking for them.”

Make a three to five song playlist for the novel:

Rate it by stars/rubber ducks:
four ducks!


Would you recommend it?
  • Yes! It's a great summer read!

Last words:
  • I am so sorry I wasn't able to post a review last week. We were on vacation and working on my blog and sitting all day in front of the laptop isn't really part of this thing called "family bonding".
  • Rossi + Mafi + Riggs book signing today! I hope I'm in the venue by the time this is posted.

'Til next time!

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment