Dash & Lily's Book of Dares: A Review


(I am screaming!!! This review is at least two weeks late.) Let's proceed to the review, yeah?


What do you think is under the title?
  • The title actually says everything about the story. Almost everything..?

Summarize the story in your own words:
  • It's yet another Christmastime in the streets of The Big Apple and whilst everyone is busy purchasing gifts for their loved ones, Dash found himself a red Moleskin notebook that seemed to send him off to a bookstore adventure.
  • Then there's Lily. The owner of the red Moleskin notebook. Waiting for the right guy to accept her dare/s. And so she gets one, a few days before Christmas. But then it seems, she's not the only one who's sending dares through the red Moleskine notebook.

In general: (didn't like it, okay, liked it, loved it)
  • I liked it a lot!!

Why?
  • Let me start off by saying how much I love David Levithan's writing. This is the fourth novel of his which I've read and I am, still, continuously in awe of how good of a writer he is. The way his characters are set up are just solid, funny, weirdly amusing and witty. His choice of words are utterly creative and well, deeply appropriate.
  • This is the first I've read of Rachel Cohn and I am very much entertained. I mean, I liked Lily a bit less than I did Dash, but her character was just equally interesting and funny in her own way.
  • I love the fact that it's held during Christmas! I love Christmases and this gives me an ample amount of Christmas goodness in the midst of tropical Philippine weather.
  • This novel made me want to go to New York even more. (And visit the Strand and then maybe, never leave.)
  • This novel made me want to leave a red Moleskin notebook amongst my favorite shelf, in between my favorite books in my favorite book shop.
  • The idea/concept of this novel very interesting. I've not heard or read about anything like that before. It's very unique.
  • The writing's just witty, teenager-y, funny and it's unput-down-able. You're halfway through the book before you even realize it! It's like a chick-lit for nerds and teenagers. (I usually look down on chick-lit but when I say teenage chick-lit, I mean it as a compliment. Because you know, chick lit are usually workaholic, dedicated Mary Sue girl finds rich Gary Sue boy, they talk--girl giggles, boy laugh/chuckles/smirks, girl melts into puddle, discover more of themselves, go dilly dallying, frick frack, fight, make up. But when I say teenage chick-lit, well, I mean it as something that smitten you, something that's cheesy but not too cheesy and just well, something romantic that runs along the borderlines of being a teenager. Am I even making sense? No?)
  • Overall, Dash & Lily's Book of Dares is a clever, unique, witty book that's sure to make you fall for red-Moleskine-notebook-in-a-book-shop dares, snarky boys and notebook adventures. If you're in for a good waste of time, you're sure to love this novel.

Favorite scene:
  • The very first time. That day when Dash found the red Moleskin notebook somewhere in The Strand.
  • The Hanukkah bar/gig too.

Least favorite scene:
  • The snowball-fighting with the kids scene. I swear those moms are annoying, they're denser than teenagers, holy crap.

One quote you liked:
“I was horribly bookish, to the point of coming right out and saying it, which I knew was not socially acceptable. I particularly loved the adjective bookish, which I found other people used about as often as ramrod or chum or teetotaler.”
“The important people in our lives leave imprints. They may stay or go in the physical realm, but they are always there in your heart, because they helped form your heart. There's not getting over that.”
“Danger comes in many forms, I suppose. For some people, it might be jumping off a bridge or climbing impossible mountains. For others, it could be a tawdry love affair or telling off a mean-looking bus driver because he doesn't like to stop for noisy teenagers. It could be cheating at cards or eating a peanut even though you're allergic. For me, danger might be getting out from the protective cloak of my family and venturing into the world more of my own, even though I don't know what- or who- awaits me.” 

Make a three to five song playlist for the novel:

Rate it by stars/rubber ducks:
four ducks


Would you recommend it?
  • If you want a feel good novel to spend some time with, go read it!

Last words:
  • I apologize for the lateness of this review!! I've been losing myself lately and couldn't find the time to actually sit down and spend some time in front of my laptop. 
  • I think I'm gonna make more headers just like this... (proud)

'Til next time!

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment