Let the Sky Fall: A Review


Ahaaa! I managed to sneak in front of the computer for some time to write this thing! Anyway, after two weeks of not being able to put up a review, here's one and it's for Let the Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger.

(pst, there are spoilers under the cut. be careful!)

What do you think is under the title?
  • I think it is entitled as such either because of the appeal of the words; the song Skyfall by Adele; or there just is something in the novel I missed.

Summarize the story in your own words:
  • Seventeen year old Vane Weston wakes up everyday of his life remembering nothing much of his childhood. Nothing much but that his parents died of a category-five tornado and him, surviving with not much of injuries but a few bruises and gashes. He also remembers this: a girl. A girl whom he's always seen in his dreams since the incident. One day, he meets her, finally. And he finds out about the memories he's lost and the secrets of his very existence.

In general: (didn't like it, okay, liked it, loved it)
  • I have mixed feelings about this novel.

Why? (Pros before cons, okay?)
  • The cover is glorious. Especially the paperback edition cover. The one tinted with pink. I mean, it says quite a lot about how the story and the characters are. Plus, it's just really nice to look at. It's attractive and pink and something you'd want to buy on first sight regardless of not knowing what it's about.
  • The playlist is awesome. Listen to it and spazz with me.
  • The concept is something I don't come across often. I don't know about you, [no, actually, this probably is just me] but this is one of the few novels I've read with people having some sort of control over the elements and I think it's pretty nice.
  • I liked the thing wherein Audra's the one more accustomed to fight and for violence. Because you know, most of the time, the guy character's the one with the brave soul and not at all hesitant to fight whilst it's the other way round in this case.
  • I liked Vane's name puns. A lot.
  • The ending! I liked the ending a lot. Especially Audra's last chapter. It was peaceful and tranquil. I love it.
  • It was hard to put down! Honestly. There were these times when I just roll my eyes or slap it or sigh of frustration (not of a good reason?) while reading but I really found it difficult to put down for some reason.
  • Let's talk about the writing. The writing was... okay. Sometimes I thought it wasn't really necessary to provide alternating point of views because almost all throughout the story, they're just, well, together. Also because sometimes they're thoughts are a little bit exaggerated? Although the author was very descriptive and damn, man, those plot twists--which were somehow obvious, but it's good.
  • The characters. Sometimes I find them unbearable. They're just too much of some things. Vane, sometimes, is on the borderline of being an asshole. Which ticks me off so much. Also, he's a little cocky and his sarcasm is most definitely funny. It's sort of good that we see how guys think through his visions and thoughts (like you know, when he checks people out and describe them in a very seventeen-year old-guy way), but it makes me feel really uncomfortable. And then we have Audra. She's strong, and of both of them, I liked the chapters where Audra narrated better. But she's too... weak sometimes. Emotionally and mentally. She blames herself too much and it's depressing.
  • I got confused by Gavin and Vane during the first two Audra chapters? I don't know.
  • The romance. It's too much. Too fast. I don't know if it was just me, but I expected a lot more of this novel. The focal point of the novel happened to be the romance, which wasn't the supposed focus, I think. Hopefully, we get to focus on the bigger things in the next novel. (Arella, for example.) Plus, less drama. Hopefully.
  • To be honest, reading this novel reminded me of a lot other novels. And nope, not cute. Not cute at all.

Favorite scene:
  • That scene where Audra went to In-N-Out with Vane. That was light, funny and not overrated.

Least favorite scene:
  • Every single time Vane inserted the word "freaking" in his sentences. It didn't seem really snarky to me. It seemed rather like he's trying hard to speak like every other teenager and it annoyed me a lot.

One quote you liked:
“Parents: Perfecting ways to humiliate their children since the dawn of time.” 

Make a three to five song playlist for the novel:


Rate it by stars/rubber ducks:
                                   
  • This novel could have had much more potential.

Would you recommend it?
  • Maybe. Maybe not. I suppose it's worth a shot.

Last words:
  • Have you seen the tfios trailer??!!
  • I am starting a confession-esque blog which starts tomorrow so if you've got anything to say, start sending through the tumblr blog. [the site] [twitter]

'Til next time!

:----)

No comments:

Post a Comment