Paper Towns: A (Late) Review



 
Late post! I apologize.  A lot's happened this weekend. A lot of crazy good things. I mean, obviously, I kind of feel bad for not posting on time but come on, guys, you gotta give it to me. I've not felt this happy in a very long time.

What do you think is under the title?
  • Whilst reading the novel [and after contemplating on it], I came up with two “theories” (for the lack of better word). First is of that scene where Margo said something about “paper towns” when they were in one of these rooms in the SunTrust building. When somehow, Margo made Quentin realize that things, especially when looked at from afar, aren’t always how they seem. That no matter how pretty they may seem, there will always be specks of dusts, scratches, cracks and flaws that’s almost impossible to restore.
  • Second is the literal meaning “paper towns.”  As in fictitious places put into maps to prevent copyright infringement. Which plays a huge part in this novel.

Summarize the story in your own words:
  • Quentin Jacobsen is a fan of routines. He likes the perspective of having to do things repetitively and early morning rituals that is called his life.  So when his neighbor and huge crush Margo Roth Spiegelman creeps up in his bedroom through the window one night [for the second time ever], he knew that things were bound to change. Margo Roth Spiegelman, who he’d deemed as perfect and elegant, invited him over for an all-nighter prank-trip and in those moments—fatigue, lack of sleep, catfishes and all, everything was okay.
  • Then Margo runs away right after that night and Quentin is left to worry. And then he starts to find clues:--as to where Margo might be—and finds out that they’re for him. He goes then to garner all her clues to find her. Only to discover a new and completely different side of the Margo Roth Spiegelman he used to know—plus, a lot of other people’s, including himself.

In general: (didn't like it, okay, liked it, loved it)
  • This is one of the novels I’d keep close to my heart for a long time.

Why?
  • This, by far, is my most favorite novel of John Green. I related to it so much, it’s probably something I’d come back to after a while. (By that I mean I’m probably gonna get myself a copy someday.)
  • Of all of John Green’s novels, this is probably the one with the deepest shit. May be this is just me, I can’t say for sure, but I think for you, as a reader, this is probably the one you could compare your life with the closest. Because Paper Towns is about people in particular. Not with probable suicidal tendency or anything else that not everybody feels. (No offense. Offended? Talk to me about it?)
  • Honestly, John Green’s stories are mostly of the same track. As in quite of a misfit lead male character; outgoing and extremely sarcastic lead female character; and a very ecstatic, almost always high best friend for a lead male character. Experiencing things in life in hopes to find their Great Perhaps. Paper Towns is no exception. This is almost sick to think of because a lot of times during the week I’ve been reading this novel, I’ve thought that this one’s almost exactly the same as Looking for Alaska. But hey, in the end, I liked Paper Towns better.
  • I can’t really say more about the plot or the characters because like I said earlier, they’re almost the same as of Pudge, Alaska, the Colonel and Takumi; but here’s one thing: this novel made me think. So much. As in I would bug my seatmate every single day just to tell her about my ideas on the 5Ws of Margo’s running away. I love the mystery aspect of it so much.
  • Besides that though, it made me think a lot about myself and the people I encounter every day. I remember my seatmate (who owns the book) telling me that I was her Margo. I can’t say for sure why she thought as such, but this made me try to plant my feet into Margo’s shoes. This is probably one of the reasons why this novel affected me so much. Because someone told me that I was like Margo (not directly, but this is the message I received when I mulled over it). And yeah, maybe I am a Margo. I just haven’t made myself clear of that.
  • I swear to God, this novel spoke to me in an emotional level, it’s not funny.
  • Also, I liked Quentin and Lacey’s relationship.
  • I liked Dr. Holden a lot, too.
  • I liked the balloon concept so much. If it’s possible for me to put it for the quote I liked, I would. Because it’s very real and well, it speaks to me in another level.
  • Let me get a question from the discussion guide and answer it for you. “With which version of the ‘real’ Margo do you most agree?”
o I’m gonna have to say that it’s the last Margo we encounter. Because that’s where we see her. That’s the version of Margo under all the façade she manages to put on every day. That’s the most raw and the very real version of Margo Roth Spiegelman. And of all of her, that is the one I can feel myself in the most. That has to be saying something.
  • Paper Towns is one of those books that make you realize things about your environment and the people you encounter every day. About how things are behind your back--behind the masks we all wear-- and that is a very powerful thing.

Favorite scene:
  • The whole of Part Three: The Vessel. It almost made me cry. Of all the funny and the emotions alike.

Least favorite scene:

  • Nothing. None that I remember of, anyway.

One quote you liked:

“It is so hard to leave—until you leave. And then it is the easiest goddamned thing in the world.” 
“It is easy to forget how full the world is of people, full to bursting, and each of them imaginable and consistently misimagined.” 

Make a three to five song playlist for the novel:

Rate it by stars/rubber ducks:


Would you recommend it?
  • Yes!

Last words:
  • Have you seen the tfios trailer?!!?
  • This is probably the deepest review I ever posted. Because I swear, I connected to this novel so much. So much that even after three weeks of having read the novel I still managed to write a [hopefully] proper review without as much as reminding myself of the things that happened in the novel.
  • haVE YOU SEEN THE DIVERGENT TRAILER??!?
  • Let's talk about the stuff I've written up there before the review. Yes, indeed, a lot happened this weekend. Our school's founding day celebration's held during the weekend. (Friday-Sunday) And we had this field demo. We did a dance(?) on the Sinulog festival in which we literally tired ourselves the whole week. [By tiring ourselves we mean going home at almost 5PM everyday; making our legs, thighs, and arms hurt; and receive several "aNG BOBO NIYO!" ("you're all idiots!" idk about the trans, I'm not really good at this) comments from our mentor-ish] Guess what? We garnered 4/5 of the awards!! I've never felt any prouder of anything in my life before. This is probably one of the best things and I'm bound to remember this in a very long time. This is one of those moments in life wherein when you remember it, you'll always feel the rush of pride and success and smile despite the length of time from when it had occurred. I watched the [goddamn crappy] video of the performance earlier today and I cried. Legit. I've been crying and smiling at the same time. Like wow. I love that moment in my life. (I actually might write a post about this. You have no idea how much this year's foundation day mean to me. I swear I've never felt this happy in a very, very long time.)

'Til next time?

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment