The Sky is Everywhere: A Review


No more senseless talking, let's proceed to the review right away! :-)


What do you think is under the title?
  • I suppose the title is of Lennie. Of how she's coping up with her sister's death and the sunshine she finds in the midst of everything going on with her life.

Summarize the story in your own words:

  • The sky is Everywhere is about Lennie Walker and her life after her older sister passes away. It's about her coping up with the loss--living up to the grief, discovering a lot about herself and her family, and finding love in the process.

In general: (didn't like it, okay, liked it, loved it)
  • I really liked it.

Why?
  • Let us start of by me telling you that this is the first novel I've listed on my tbr in goodreads so finding a copy here in the country was aweeesome. (I had no idea they had these in here, okay. So I got too excited upon seeing it and had my sister purchase a copy right away oops)
  • And now for the real review. First, the writing. Three words for it:exceptional, eloquent, beautiful. (I can't really explain this properly, but I'll try.) The flow of the words is continuous. It's like you could literally feel them whipping around you. Like warm breeze in a summer day. Waves lapping over the shore. Jandy Nelson makes everything sound enchanting, beautiful and alive.
  • Lennie. I love her. She's obnoxious, intelligent and stupid and the same time. I love how very human she is. Her thoughts were ridiculously, very much teenager-like. I liked it a lot. She was surreal; I've not read of a character so [fictitiously] human in quite a long time and it's good to get in the brain of someone as such once again.
  • Lennie's poetry. They help us know more about her. About the thoughts she cannot fathom into coherence, into proper thoughts. It gives us an insight on how she was and is--even of Bailey and really, just how tightly bonded they were.
  • The side characters. They're all wonderful. All very human that it's impossible to ignore and hate on them. Even Toby. Whose frustration and grief seemed to have been spent and ashed out on his fiancee's sister. Every single one of them is just as flawed and special as much as the next person.
  • The Fontaine brothers!!!!! They're all very adorable. I like their relationship with each other a  lot. (Nothing too special to say, really. Just giving this bullet out to them.)
  • Joe. (You know you've seen it coming.) He's definitely something. He's an Etienne St. Clair. A Noah Shaw minus the superhuman aura. An Augustus Waters. He's a huge slab of adorable and a human teenage male. (Oh wait, cute, too.)*
  • I have a new ship!! I mean, what can we say about that? They're young and in love. There's no getting in the way of teenage love. (Ask Romeo and Juliet?)
  • Let me try to talk about the plot and Lennie's grieving. I didn't actually feel it. I mean, I get it. I understand the emptiness, the hollowness there is. The fact that that Bailey is actually gone still has not sunk in yet and they still are in the process of admitting it to themselves--I get it. But there's something...off about all of it. I can't pinpoint what it is, but I really feel like something is lacking.
  • The ending/last chapter. I love it so much. Just like that of The Beginning of Everything (review) and Allegiant (review), it feels so good to read of. It's liberating. Like a rush of wind breezing across your face on a summer day.

Favorite scene:
  • Either the last Joe/Lennie scene; or
  • the last scene of the last chapter

Least favorite scene:
  • The femme fatale-mode Lennie

One quote you liked:
“I have an impulse to write all over the orange walls- I need an alphabet of endings ripped out of books, of hands pulled off of clocks, of cold stones, of shoes filled with nothing but wind.” 

Make a three to five song playlist for the novel:

Rate it by stars/rubber ducks:


Would you recommend it?
  • Yes! If you're up for a feel-good novel, this could be your one.

Last words:
  • Why did I feel like I'm writing a thank-you speech whilst writing this review?
  • It's March!!! I'm in a serious book ban, plus, there's only a month left of school for me! I need to take this very seriously if I want to go somewhere in life. So yeah, posts are gonna get fewer this month.
*No, actually, I cannot form proper thoughts for this one. Just that he's adorable and French and musically inclined. (holler)


Have an amazing month!

'Til next time.

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment