Divergent: A Movie Review


I think it's common knowledge that I rarely post movie/tv reviews (because I know next to nothing about movies and well, very little about TV shows) but this time I'm giving you another one. Because I went to the mall with some friends yesterday and we watched a movie. [cue screams of happiness]

I WATCHED DIVERGENT [sCREECHES]
You have no idea how stoked I am to talk about this one hell of an adaptation. I literally cannot with everything right now.

What was the movie about?
  • This is a movie adaptation of Veronica Roth's Divergent. And in case you have no idea about what it's of, here's goodreads' blurb:
In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, Tris also learns that her secret might help her save the ones she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

How did you come up about on watching it?
  • My friends invited me to come with them on the last day of school and how can I say 'no' to that?

What did you think of it?
  • It was so aWESOME! Just like what Michelle says: "movie of the year!!" Maybe it's too early to give that title to any movie just yet, but if any, this movie deserves the awards.
  • Pretty sure we all have this preset for adaptations where we almost expect so much, but somehow, in the back of our minds, know that we will be disappointed somehow. I actually wasn't so ecstatic about the Divergent movie like my friends were before we saw the movie. I mean yes, sure, I get updates and feel happy about it and all, but my heart wasn't in in the idea of actually seeing it because I've always thought that it might be bad. Guess life really does have its way of not going with our expectations.
  • Theo James!!! I remember those times when they released the cast and everyone in the fandom flipped over on the idea of him playing Tobias right away, but damn, how can you not love him after seeing the movie. He wasn't the perfect Tobias--we all know that--but holy frick, he's so good. And good-looking and hot and very Four. Maybe this bullet is a little bit biased because I used to watch Golden Boy and I liked him from then on. (He's just a really good actor and I dig his skills a lot, okay.)
  • Shailene Woodley. Not the perfect Tris, either. But if you've seen some of Shailene's movies, you'll see just how much of a good actress she is. Like I said, she's not the perfect Tris, but she captured Tris really well, in my opinion. Although at some points I really didn't feel her Beatrice Prior side, her Tris side is very much present. She was bad-ass and brave. I particularly took note of how well she played out Tris's vulnerability which we can see when she'd killed Will (I still cry) and during her mother's death.
  • I really can't see Ansel as Caleb. I think I've gotten used to the idea of him being Gus. But he did well.
  • The soundtrack was dope. It fits the movie and the novels so well. It was perfect oh my god.
  • The Dauntless!!! If anything, this is the coolest thing off the movie. Their entrance was enticing. It was full of energy and adrenaline and bravery, it made me feel like a proud mama.
  • The fight scenes. Two words: oh wow. They were beautiful. It was just so action-packed, you feel every second of it.
  • In general, I thought the Divergent movie was amazing. If I get the chance to watch it again and again and again, I would. This is probably one of the best novel to movie adaptations I've seen. It's worth every penny and hour.
  • There aren't legit words I could use to actually describe how I feel about the movie. Just that I loved how it stayed close and true to the book and the actors did their roles really, really well.

Favorite scene:
  • The zipline scene! It was so refreshing to see it unfold from page to screen! [But you know that at the same time it hurt so bad because of Allegiant.] (Oh wait, that time when they went into Four's fear landscape, too. The Fourtris tension oh my golly god.)

What did you learn from the movie? (If you did learn anything)
  • Not all novel to movie adaptations are bad

Rate it by rubber ducks:

Last words:
  • Read it before you see it.
  • I was sort of waiting for the butterknife scene, but oh well. The moth conversation too. I looked forward to them.
  • WILL (I still cry because of this)
  • Christina was so badass oh wow

It's officially Summer for me!!! Yay


'Til next time!

:--)

No comments:

Post a Comment