The Selection: A Review

Photo not available :( I'll tend to it as soon as I can!

(I finished reading this book during the 9th of September, but due to the rules I have set for myself, I am posting reviews only once in a week and a new review would be up every Saturdays. Not regularly, but I will try my best to at least finish a novel per week.)

So this week I'm reviewing The Selection by Kiera Cass. This novel has been making such a huge buzz and it's been on my goodreads' to-read  list for a long time so I grabbed the opportunity to borrow it as soon as I found out that my classmate had purchased a copy.

And as usual, be aware of the fact that there might be spoilers tucked along in this review so proceed with care and caution.

What do you think is under the title?
  • Basically, there's this tradition or just a thing that when the king and queen's son reaches of age, there will be held a "competition" which would include thirty five girls that once they reach sixteen, they can go enter that competition called "The Selection" and whoever wins (like gets to capture Maxon's heart, most probably) becomes queen/princess. 
Summarize the story in your own words:
  • Just like what I had stated above, the story revolves around the Selection. It is told from America Singer's perspective. She's sixteen, a Five and in love (and in a secret relationship) with her childhood friend, Aspen. Since her family's a Five, their income isn't really much so they had to work big time to support the family. Then there's the Selection. America does not want to get into it; but her family--most specifically her mom-- and Aspen had forced her into it. And so she did. Now, she is in a competition with thirty-four other girls to get the crown and be Illea's princess. Although America had admitted to herself that she doesn't want the Selection, she does everything to make it to the end.
  • (Rubbish summary I have put up there, eh? I know.)
In general: (didn't like it, okay, liked it, loved it)
  • It was ooooooookay.
Why?
  • I'll beat round the bush no more: I didn't like America. She ticks me off so much. I'm trying to like her throughout the book, but I really couldn't. Maybe it's because of the fact that she seems clingy and absolutely humble and waay too honest. Or maybe the fact that she's too impulsive. I liked the plot, actually. It was unique and interesting in a way that I had thought to myself 'what if something like this happened in real life?'. My problem is the [main] character, that's all.
Favorite scene:
  • Believe it or not, my most favorite scene is the first major make-over part. I'm going to make myself clear and tell y'all that I'm not really a fan of make-overs and make up and stuff; but to imagine all the dresses, accessories and shoes it might have, I think it's not so bad to fancy over that. And I think it's fun seeing people get all prepped up and made pretty. (Also, I'm a girl. There's quite a possibility that getting an overhaul is in my bucket list.)
Least favorite scene:
  • Excuse me, but please don't get me started on this one.
One quote you liked:
“It's the fear of looking stupid the keeps you from being awesome.” 
  • I chose this one because this is the relationship my wardrobe and I share every single time. 
Make a three to five song playlist for the novel:
          I had not thought this over whilst reading the novel but;
Rate it by stars:
  • 3 stars because +1 for effort and another one for Maxon's sheer cuteness. And the last one because... I'd probably check out The Elite.
Would you recommend it?
  • If you like feeling like a princess and a hearthrob, sure. Why not.
Last words:
  • I'm still gonna carry on with it. Even though I didn't like this one so much, I'd like to see what happens in The Elite.
Possible next book review: Beautiful Darkness aka sequel to Beautiful Creatures

'Til next time!

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment