Beautiful Creatures: A Review

I posted a review not long since this, but right now, here's another one! Yay! I am currently on the roll of reading books because there're a lot of people who've been lending them to me and that means only one thing: there is a huge possibility that my next blog posts would be book reviews. I hope you don't mind.

This week (I'm pretty sure book reviews will go out weekly because I spend more or less a week reading a book. If not, then I'd suspend the posting. That's a thing for me not, I think.) I'm reviewing Beautiful Creatures! Before everything else, I'd like to remind you that I do not review books that depend on their publishing date. I'm not updated with the books so chill out. (I'm a poor boor and I have priorities, don't blame me.) Although you can always, always send me book recommendations through tumblr or ask.fm and I'll definitely check those out.

Without further ado, let's start! (Always beware of the minor to major spoilers that I might have tucked in between these words!)

What do you think is under the title?
  • I think it's pretty far off from the actual plot of the story, although if you've seen the part where one of the characters says the title, you will cringe.
Summarize the story in your own words:
  • I am going to try to make this as less complicated as much as possible. So basically, the story revolves around the small town of Gatlin somewhere in South Carolina and the enchantment in contains. We are pushed on through the story by a[n adorable] guy named Ethan Wate who had lives his whole life in there and wanted to get out. And then there's Lena, the mysterious new girl in the small town that never changed and hid no secrets. Being a new girl, she wasn't really treated nicely, especially because of the fact that she is "Old Man Ravenwood"'s niece who was most likely considered the scary person of the town. Now Ethan and Lena cross paths, and their relationship develops. As that relationship develops, [so many of] Gatlin's whole identity secrets unfold and love is tested.
In general: (didn't like it, okay, liked it, loved it)
  • I liked it enough for me to want to carry on with the series.

Why?
  • See, I really didn't find it that addicting or amazing, but it tugged at my heartstrings. Pulling and plucking ever so slightly to make me feel things and I think that's good. I had not felt that way towards a book since The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight (sorry, Requiem) and I missed feeling that. Even though it hurts. Though I'm gonna have to say the story itself was not that satisfactory for me, [don't get me wrong, I liked it actually] because there are times when I feel so caught up in the moment and then next scene makes me fall so hard on the ground. You know, it's like a miraculous heartbeating. It reaches a high peak, then falls down to a flatline. High peak, flatline, high peak, flatline. It felt so intimidating.
  • Wait, let me get you a quote from the novel itself to express how exactly I'm feeling: “In one moment I was feeling everything and I was feeling nothing.”

Favorite scene: (spooilers!)
  • It's gonna have to be the court scene wherein Lena is on hearing to be exiled from Gatlin when Uncle Macon makes a rare public appearance with Marian and just gets into it. With Marian quoting a lot of people and Macon swagging it up and degrading Mrs. Lincoln down. I reaaally loved Macon's character; he's just classy and wise and awesome.
Least favorite scene:
  • Lena's Birthday. Yup, the scene/chapter we're all supposed to be focusing on. Not to give you a pre-letdown (if you haven't read the book yet) or anything, but for me, this part was so corny and rubbish. I loved every single thing in the book except for this one. It was really a stressing part for me to read.
One quote you liked:
“It’s funny how you can live somewhere your whole life, but not really see it.” 
  • I liked that quote so much because it appeals and describes me in so many levels it hurt.

Make a three to five song playlist for the novel:
As you might have noticed, all the song I have put up are mostly about love-ish. That is because I think the focus of the novel is Ethan and Lena's relationship--or at least, that is what stood out in the whole novel for me.
Rate it by stars:
  • 3.5 stars!!!!!
Would you recommend it?
  • I didn't really feel like the series would be too addicting, but there's something in it that lures me and I cannot get away from it, so yes! Do read it!! :-)
Last words:
  • I have a new OTP and proud to say that I ship, for the first time, both movie and novel versions.
  • Ethan Wate, you're a fucking cutie.
  • [oot] I might not be able to review next week because I have exams, but the next review might by The Selection.
  • [oot] Also, as you might have noticed, I added a new section! It's the playlist one. Since I'm a music junkie, I thought I could put those songs to use by putting 'em up to the novels I read. Also, hopefully, this way, I can discover a whole lot of artists to add up on my playlist!
'Til next time.

:-)




No comments:

Post a Comment