Requiem: A Review


(Another book review! Yay!) So this time, I'm reviewing Requiem; the third and final book of the Delirium trilogy by Lauren Oliver. And starting this book review, I'm not blubbering anymore. I am balancing and limiting my words by setting up questions that I would answer that should make me put my thoughts about the book in a not blubbering and rubbish way.

Let's start! :-) [Note: Whole review is under the tag to avoid accidental spoilers. Spoilers may range from minor to major spoilers; read at your own risk]

What do you think is under the title?
  • 'Requiem' means a song for the dead. Quite creepy, to be honest. But I think this book was entitled as such because it's the final installment of the series, also (spoiler alert!) a lot of people/things die.
Book Summary/Plot:
  • This is quite difficult to explain, because it's an installment and the final one as well. I think what sums it up is it concludes everything in the Delirium trilogy. Though in this book, Lena and her group moves on to different places and do what they do: survive. In the end of Pandemonium, Lena recruits DFA baby Julian Fineman to be one of them. Eventually, they got together. And then there's Alex who comes back. And the rumble of feelings begin.
  • I'd be honest, I can't find the words to tell you the plot of this book for it is the last one and it just flows and all that, but I'll try my best.
  • Requiem is the third and final book of the series. Lena and her company heads on to find the resistance. The Wilds aren't as safe and peaceful as it was before and the stakes are higher for the Invalids out. This novel is told in two point of views: Lena's and Hana's. Now, Hana has received the cure and is not living a good life with her future husband and mayor to-be of Portland, Fred Hargrove. She is expected to have happy life. Everyone envies her and considers her lucky--only not all things are as good as it actually seems. And now Lena and Hana are minding their own two completely different adventures, until their paths cross once again.
In general: (didn't like it, okay, liked it, loved it)
  • I have mixed feelings for Requiem, actually. There are times when I just didn't like it, but there are times when I really do. But to sum it all up, if I judged it by the whole thing, I can say that [still, like the two first books] I loved it.
Why? (Here comes the long part. Prepare yourselves.)
  • Like I have said earlier, I had mixed feelings for it. Because I think the story just went too slow. I feel really, really bad for doing this, but, compared to Reached (please don't sue me, please don't. I have to say this) I felt more like reaching the ending better with Ally Condie's novel. I thought the beginning until the middle part of Requiem just went too slow, action-less and boring for me--I had to force myself to keep on reading it. And here comes the actual center of the book which I could also consider a part of its ending: the rebellion. It went pretty fast for me this time, but, I liked it. I kind of got disappointed by the way Hana and Lena had reacted when they had crossed paths again, but I think the way they treated each other was reasonable. And Alex. God, Alex. He was... something. Definitely something. He and Lena were just so complicated it made my heart ache. Then there's Julian. The ever adorable Julian Fineman. I like him as a character, but not as Lena's partner. I know, Julian is Lena's responsibility. Since she's the one who had "infected" him with the deliria and stuff and it freaking hurt when I think of just how or what would happen to Julian after the novel, but (spoiler alert!) I'm really glad Lena had sided Alex by the end. It was quite obvious, actually. But you know, we never predicted Lena. 
  • Anyway, I loved the last paragraph. The end of it all. Although I didn't feel the setting of the stage for this one, I loved the way it ended. I loved how Lauren had concluded it with words that wouldn't just relate to what was happening to the story, but to life as well. I liked the (spoiler alert!) literal taking down of the walls. I had felt the rush of victory during that one and even though it had made me cry/sob/wail so hard, I liked it.
  • I like to think of what would happen after that achievement, or how Tack would do (cough cough I still cry when I remember) or how Alex and Lena would be, and how Julian would face all this. I really feel bad for him, actually. Even though I didn't like the idea of Julena in the first place. [Alena all the way!!]
Favorite Scene:
  • My favorite part would have to be the part where Hana visits Cassie. I don't know why, I just did like it.
Least Favorite Scene:
  • All the fucking deaths.
One quote you liked:
  • "Perfection is a promise, and a reassurance that we are not wrong.”  --This quotation had stuck with me ever since my eyes had passed those words and I'm safe to say that that is my most favorite quotation out of the whole book.
Rate it by stars: 
  • I'd say 4.5 stars. Brava.
Would you recommend it?
  • If you've read the first two books already, yes! I do recommend you read it! It won't be much of a let down. And if you haven't read the whole series at all just yet and wanted to spoil yourself in the first place, I say you start out on this trilogy as well! :-)
Last Words:
  • Alex (the novella Lauren had written which can be found if you had purchased the first edition/print of the books, I'm not quite sure if it has an ebook edition) is the sweetest, cutest thing ever. I love how Lauren had given us memories from Alex's childhood in which he applies them to his present life. I love how deep and sentimental [and so fucking romantic] Alex was. I kind of which we had one of the novels narrated by Alex.
  • Where can I buy an Alex Sheathes? I want one.

P.S. About my last post, the typewritten one, I lied. I got to attend the Bazooka Rocks fest. I would want to write a post about it, but I too lazy to do so, so I'm sorry! But I'm so glad I got to attend! It was the most depressing and best day of my life. Thanks to everyone who made it possible! <3
P.P.S. The header is Requiem's UK paperback edition. I just edited it up a bit. :-)

'Til next time!

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment