Kids & Technology

A few days ago, I was asked to download an application for my six year old cousin's iPad. It was something like Flow, only it's more kiddy and there are lots of shapes and stuff. So the gadget was mine... for the time being.

A minute or two after, my cousin statred to whine in his playpen, insisting that I give his iPad to him. I didn't. Because I wasn't done downloading and updating his apps yet.
And then he cried.

Not legit cry, but red, puffy and tears in his eyes cry. Which I found was so weird. And so I questioned the ropes knotted around kids nowadays and technology.

I'm fifteen. And I cannot lie on how dependent we are on technology today, because I'm one of those people. To be completely honest, though, all these things we have nowadays help improve man's lives very very well, it just isn't so right that we depend too much on it.

To the extent that we feel so saddened and depressed by the mere losing of it. It just isn't right, you know?
It's good, actually, these tablets and smartphones and other gadgets we have. Even for kids and us teenagers. It helps learning come in easily to us and it all approaches us in a package and wide variety of choices. Also, it has a lot of answers to questions our nature or environment couldn't answer.

But I do not like the fact that we are just so... seemingly obsessed on them. As a blogger, I do in fact use my laptop a lot. I kind of don't like that fact some times. Because, you know, it's like 'oh my god I have to update my blogs today'. Although I have a lot of homeworks and chores to do. I can blame myself, yes, of course. I lack of time management and discipline enough to control myself. But let's face it, you know the way I am feeling. And it ticks me off (and bothers me) sometimes.

Especially for the kids. It's good that they are up to date with all these technologies we are having, but they get too attached in them. Like they would get mad at you if you don't give their iPads or cellphones to them when asked and they have this ability to use it for the whole day. Without long-term breaks or exposure to the sunlight and outdoors. Going out, messing up and playing games with our friends is a part of being a kid. Been there, done that, but it seems to me this kiddie tradition smolders as time passes.

I have nothing against technology or gadgets or anything else. I know that I need it as much as you all do. I just hope we don't get too attached and blood-bound to them. Nature's got a lot to offer, savor it. :-)

'Til next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment