The Before Then and After Now: A Review

BOOK DETAILS:
title: The Before Then and After Now
author: Peter Monn
series: none; standalone
publisher: Pen Name Publishing
pub date: July 29th, 2014
genre: contemporary, realistic fiction, LGBT
format acquired: eARC; for review
synopsis:
Danny Goldstein has always lived in the shadow of his identical, twin brother Sam. But when a hurricane of events forces him into the spotlight, he starts to realize that the only thing he’s truly afraid of is himself. With the help of his costume changing friend Cher, a famous gay uncle with a mysterious past of his own, two aging punk rocker parents and Rusty, the boy who will become his something to live for, Danny begins to realize that the music of the heart is truly the soundtrack for living.

REVIEW:
What do you think is under the title?
  • The novel is divided (not really) into two parts: Before Then, and After Now. I think that's where the title is from. Unless you want a spoiler? Just kidding, I'm not gonna.

In general:
  • It was okay...

Why?
The Before Now and After Then is a fast yet enjoyable read. It's not just a romance novel, it teaches you a lot about being and finding yourself, and learning stand up to the hardships in life.

I did have very minimal issues with the author's writing style and I thought it focused so much more on the romance than with Danny dealing with the school bullies and the loss of his twin, but other than that, I had no more problems with the story.

I liked the story flow, I loved the side characters. Each has a story and unique personality within them that makes them standout. Although the romance was too cheesy for my liking. I thought it was too cliche and, well, sweetness overload.

I also sort of didn't get the connection between the title + the cover to the story itself. I'm not sure if it's just me, but I thought the cassette tape was rather irrelevant. (Or that it played a role too small to actually be the face of the novel.)

Overall, I give The Before Then and After Now three and a half stars. It's unputdownable, sure to make you feel happy, and very much filled with moral and issues all teenagers could relate to--one way or another.

Quotes you liked:

Make a three to five song playlist for the novel:

Rate it by stars/rubber ducks:
three and a half ducks!


Would you recommend it?
  • Yes.

Last words:
  • Thank you, Pen Name Publishing and Netgalley for allowing me to review this novel! 
'Til next time!
P.S. As of them moment, I'm either at SM Aura for #JennandLissainPH or at the SMX Convention Center for MIBF. Either way, if you have magical powers and are able to recognize me, come say hi!

No comments:

Post a Comment