One Day: A Review


WAHEY! (Aha, you get it? you get it?) It's been quite a time since I actively posted things on the blog and for that, I'm sorry. But worry not, I've been spending almost all my free time writing and scheduling posts for the blog so as not to leave it be whilst I busy myself with my inner demons, a pile of books, and my studies.

Before anything else, let me just put out that I'm going to try my best not to spoil anybody upon reviewing this novel. (I'm gonna try my best. Honest.) Just hope that I don't get too carried away. Okay? Anyway, for today, I'm reviewing One Day by David Nicholls.


BOOK DETAILS:
title: One Day
author: David Nicholls
series: none; standalone
publisher: Vintage Contemporaries
pub date: May 24th. 2011
genre: adult fiction, contemporary, romance, British litt., chick lit
format acquired: movie tie-in paperback; purchased
links: goodreads, amazon, tbd, author site
synopsis:
It’s 1988 and Dexter Mayhew and Emma Morley have only just met. But after only one day together, they cannot stop thinking about one another. Over twenty years, snapshots of that relationship are revealed on the same day—July 15th—of each year. Dex and Em face squabbles and fights, hopes and missed opportunities, laughter and tears. And as the true meaning of this one crucial day is revealed, they must come to grips with the nature of love and life itself.
REVIEW:
What do you think is under the title?
  • "Over twenty years, snapshots of that relationship are revealed on the same day—July 15th—of each year." I'm pretty sure that's basically it.


In general: (didn't like it, okay, liked it, loved it)
  • I'm a wreckage. I think I loved it.


Why?
One Day, without a doubt, is my favorite novel this year.I've written this review about three days after I finished then novel and I still think about it. (I'm actually on a book binge--or a book hangover, whichever way you wish to call it.) This novel is a hilarious, frustrating, and depressing read, I tell you. It's bound to get you on through a giant ball of emotions, ranging from elation to depression.

The writing is amazing. David Nicholls' method works so beautifully with his writing style. I loved how he voiced Emma out. I usually have issues with guy authors narrating as women and vice versa, but Nicholls made it work. His writing appealed to me so much that I found the novel unputdownable and hard to forget.

I have mentioned that this novel is frustrating, and it is--downright, as a matter of fact. We witness what seems to be fate chasing each other in twenty years. This review would probably sound like crap, since I think it would be better if I had lived during those times and actually is aged somewhere near theirs--that way, I would've understood things better. I would say it's realistic in a lot of ways. The novel depicts very much realistic events and even more realistic characters who are approaching life in the real, bigger world.

One Day is a hilarious, smart, frustrating, romantic, and feels-inducing read. It is one of those novels that you would want to pick out at random and spend your days reading. You are bound to remember it for a long time and I'd be very proud to say that I'd definitely read it again when I'm older.


Quotes you liked:
  • I WOULD QUOTE THE WHOLE BOOK IF I COULD
 
"He wanted to live life to the extreme, but without any mess or complications. He wanted to live life in such a way that if a photograph would be taken at random, it would be a cool photograph. (...) there should be a lot of fun and no more sadness that absolutely necessary."
"You can't throw years of your life away just because it makes a funny anecdote."
"He's a better person when she's around, and isn't that what friends are for, to raise you up and keep you at your best? Emma is his talisman, his lucky charm, and now she won't be there, and his mother won't be there and he will wonder why he's doing it at all."
"'The future. It's not what I expected.'

'It never is, is it? The future. That's what makes it so fucking EXCITING!'"
"Go out there with your passion and you electric typewriter and work hard at... something. Change lives through are maybe. Cherish your friends, stay true to your principles, live passionately and fully and well. Experience new things. Love and be loves, if you ever get the chance."


Make a three to five song playlist for the novel:


Rate it by stars/rubber ducks:
I would give this all the ducks if I could.


Would you recommend it?
  • YES. And the watch the movie afterwards so you could feel me.


Last words:
  • The feels are real. I am still on a book binge--will forever be on a book binge.

'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment