Harp's Song: A Review


AAaaaaaaahhhhh Hi! It's been sooo ridiculously long since I last posted a review and for that I am very very sorry! Did you miss them? Aha. I've been too busy with thoughts of school and college, I couldn't focus on writing reviews. Although I have been reading a lot lately--I just am really bad at time management. Anyhow! Let us not talk of that any further and proceed to the review. This week, we're talking about Harp's Song by Cassie Shine!





What do you think is under the title?
  • I'm thinking this is about Harp and her finding her own voice and standing up to herself. (I actually don't get it. I am so sorry.)


In general: (didn't like it, okay, liked it, loved it)
  • I liked it.


Why?
  • Every now and then, I will get this very strong urge to read a very short and cheeky read and I must say, this issue I have been having for weeks lessened a bit because of this novel.
  • (I'll be very, very honest right now.) When I found out that this novel had abuse in it, I thought about chickening out and dropping this galley. Novels with abuse in them make me feel uncomfortable for some reason, but I managed to fight the feeling off and finish.
  • This novel didn't disappoint. Although to be honest, it took me quite a time to get immersed into the story. I wasn't a fan of the writing style. I had issues with the run-on sentences and the very few grammatical errors, but despite everything, I liked it.
  • The novel was fast-paced and if anything, that's what I liked about this novel the most. I also thought it was brilliant that the author used a countdown to the day Harp's been waiting for. That's a plus because it keeps you to want to look forward to what the countdown is about and as to what is at the last day.
  • I also liked Harp. I thought she was annoying and whiny at first, but she sort of grew on me that I started to like her. Also, that kickass character development. I liked how Harp developed into a stronger persona and grew depth in her.
  • I liked her relationship with Connor. You feel the best friend-ship they have. I thought it was cool when they became an item but as time passes, it will come to you that they're better off friends. I don't know about that, though. I thought the romance was too cheeky, it sort of turned me off.
  • I loved how her relationship with her mother developed. I couldn't explain this one properly, but I liked how their story went and ended in this novel.
  • Harp's Song is a fulfilling book. I suggest everyone take some time to read it.


Quotes you liked:
After so many years of hearing someone tell you how ugly you are, at some point, you start believing it regardless of what rational part of your brain is saying.

Fear is an interesting motivator people. Sometimes, they use it to rise above and conquer it, but other times, people let it win and it consumes them... makes them desperate.


Make a three to five song playlist for the novel:


Rate it by stars/rubber ducks:
three and a half ducks!



Would you recommend it?
  • If you're in for a short read, yes.
  • I don't suggest you read it if you feel uncomfortable about mentions of abuse.


Last words:
  • I don't know if this is just me, but I kept on seeing the name Harp as Harper. And this is an issue because it confuses me all the time.
  • I cannot wait to read Harp's Voice, the sequel to the duology!
  • Thank you, Netgalley and Cassie for giving me the chance to read and review this novel!

'Til next time! c:

No comments:

Post a Comment