Through the Ever Night: A Review



 I apologize for the lateness of this post. I have been doing school stuff. (No, not really...)

(spoilers under the cut!!) this is not a drill, there are spoilers.


What do you think is under the title?
  • I think, just like in the first novel, the title refers to the business and whatnots going on within the Outside [and well, the Reverie, too] world.

Summarize the story in your own words:
  • It starts out with Perry in search for Aria after she's gone out for months trying to find out what had happened to her mother in Bliss. So then they find each other [and lived happily ever after :(( noPE] but the mirth of their reunion doesn't last. They had to distance themselves from each other for the sake of the Tides who won't take Dwellers kindly. Aria tries to get along with them, but she's got problems of her own. With Aether storms getting worse day by day, Perry struggles to keep his tribe fed and safe whilst Aria's got her eyes on getting Talon and Liv back in exchange for information about the Still Blue. Everybody now clings on to the desperate hope of finding the Still Blue to save their lives before time runs out.

In general: (didn't like it, okay, liked it, loved it)
  • I loved it!!

Why?
  • It being a Veronica Rossi novel, there's an automatic plus point.
  • Have I mentioned before how much I adore Veronica Rossi's writing? Sure as hell I have, but let this bullet be another appreciation time for it. Words cannot express how beautiful I find it. It's eloquent, smooth and rich with feelings. You can feel the characters despite the fact that it's third person. (Because you know, a lot of novels tend to stray especially when written in the third person point of view.)
  • It's common knowledge that in trilogies, it's usually in the second novel that the story blurs and well, goes down. Frankly, it didn't, in this one.
  • I loved so much that Perry and Aria reunited in Through the Ever Night, but I loved it even more because of the fact that the plot of this novel isn't centered on the romance. Don't get me wrong, I'll go down with this ship, but it's good that we get more sense of what's happening to the world around them--not to mention the Aether, which was somehow explained further in the novel.
  • This bullet is dedicated to Aria and Roar's bromance. This is one of my most favorite things in the novel. I love just how close they are to each other. The intimacy they have isn't something you'll confuse for romantic feelings, you just know how deeply they care for each other but you know there's no malice in it. (Unless you're sort of bitter and angsty like Brooke... well.) I actually wish I had a relationship like they do.
  • Okay, since I didn't give one last review, I'm giving one now. This bullet is dedicated to Perry. I don't actually feel like I need to give him a spotlight in the review, but I feel like making one. Anyway, he's sort of like Four sometimes. Don't get me wrong: I love both characters a lot, but they're sometimes just so... insecure. About everything. But don't take this too hard, because seeing characters like them make me know more stuff about boys than I actually willed myself to. It made me realize that men have insecurities too. That well, they're even worse at expressing their honest feelings compared to the most contained lady you know. And I don't know, I think it's good to know about things like that so you're sort of aware about their nature...? BACK TO PERRY! He's........ such a man. I don't know how I'm gonna explain this, but I hope you get it. Maybe I can say this because when you read about Perry: his thoughts, his actions, his words; it's like you can feel the man aura. (God damn, I really can't explain this properly.) He's a boy, you know it. He gets male thoughts and those shizz guys feel, but he handles them properly... Maybe to sum this up, all there is to say is that he's not an asshole. I think that's it.
  • Now, let's talk about Roar and Liv. Before reading Through the Ever Night, I read Roar and Liv first. Because I've seen in Under the Never Sky just how... highly he speaks of Liv. How passionate and deep his feelings are for her. And well, [I know this is irrelevant and stuff but okay, I'm gonna say it:] while reading the e-novella, I may or may not have came close to tears four times. And Roar and Liv made me happy and sad at once.
  • This is a plot twist appreciation bullet. That's all there is to say.
  • The ending. I thought the ending was sort of rushed? Like there was too much going on at the same time and I couldn't hold on to a single thing that's happening. But maybe it's natural, because everyone is running about and there's panic everywhere...

Favorite scene:

  •  That part when Aria and Roar sang "Arctic Kitten" in The Tides' cookhouse! It was such an adorable scene and everything was happy and light. (Plus because I can't figured out if the Arctic Kitten is a pun or a joke, I sort of asked Veronica Rossi about it...)
“Come thaw my frozen heart, my little arctic kitten.”
Unable to resist, Aria jumped in and picked up the next line. “No chance, my yeti man, I’d rather be frostbitten.”
“Let me be your snowman. Come live in my igloo.”
“I’d rather freeze to death than hibernate with you.”
  • aww yeeeaah

Least favorite scene:
  • Liv and the moments wasted, lost in time.
  • Everything with Kirra in it. I just knew that woman can't be trusted! [angsty shipper mood on]

One quote you liked: 
“Love was like the waves in the sea, gentle and good sometimes, rough and terrible at others, but that it was endless and stronger than the sky and earth and everything in between.” 

Make a three to five song playlist for the novel:


Rate it by stars/rubber ducks:



Would you recommend it?
  • This series is da bomb! Catch up before Into the Still Blue is out!


Last words:
  • First review for 2014!
  • I CANNOT WAIT FOR INTO THE STILL BLUE

'Til next time!

:----)

No comments:

Post a Comment