The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer: A Review



(beware of spoilers!)
What do you think is under the title?

unbecoming (adj.)
: not in keeping with accepted standards of what is right or proper in polite society
: not becoming; especially :  not according with the standards appropriate to one's position or condition of life
  •  I think the title's somehow more on about Mara's perspective herself. Because she starts to unravel things about herself that's well, not normal.

Summarize the story in your own words: (aka this is me trying my very best to put the story into words without actually spoiling anything)
  • Mara Dyer wakes up in a hospital having no memory of the building accident [that she had miraculously survived] which caused the death of her friends. She then moves to Florida with her family to start anew. In her [supposed] new life, she meets Noah Shaw. A [ridiculously intelligent and charming British] guy who never seemed to want to bugger off of her and knew a lot more of her than she is aware of. But just as things start to get easier, she begins to remember the accident and she discovers things about herself which would change their lives and of the people they love forever.

In general: (didn't like it, okay, liked it, loved it)
  • I think I did.

Why? (pros first, then cons, okay?)

  • The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is the first ever paranormal + mystery + thriller novel I've read and I would like to thank heavens for keeping it YA or else I literally could've jumped out of my skin through the process.
  • This novel is very beautifully written. Every scene is sure to give you feelings. (I'm not gonna say shivers or cringe because trust me, those aren't the only feelings you'll feel whilst reading it.)
  • I liked the fact hat it started the way it did. The letter was a good prep up for what's to come. It's filled with mystery already and it's enough to just really make you want to turn the page and flip on. The letter, also, explains nothing and everything at once. (Especially if you're one to spoil yourself like me.)
  • Mara is a very likeable character. Despite all the things she's gone through, going through and the things she's about to discover, she never forgot to take her funny jacket off. Her level of sarcasm and witty comebacks is something that reminds me of Caymen from The Distance Between Us. Plus, she has a very good vocabulary that I find amusing.
  • I loved Mara's relationship with Daniel! They are probably one of my most favorite fictional sibling relationships ever.
  • Now let's talk about the famous Noah Shaw who managed to steal a ton of ladies' hearts, fictional and living alike. He's... okay, I guess. He wasn't that much of a hot thing everyone's been describing him about. I liked him as a character, yes. I liked that everybody [in the novel] sees him as nothing but perfect when really, he's just as flawed and mysterious as much as the next person. Like I've said earlier, while everyone else define him as hot [and sexy and perfect yada yada], I don't really see him as one. There were a lot of times I thought he was hugely Gary Sue-d. He's British, richer than Jesus (or God, I don't remember oops), knows how to say "vagina" in six languages, ridiculously, infuriatingly good-looking and a straight-A student despite the lack of concern for school + a tad bit of assholery he's showing. And okay, maybe, just maybe, he's a bit swoon-worthy. Especially in the "let me try to fix you" part. Either way, he's an okay character to me and I'm looking forward to see him soon. 
  • All those plot twists and revelations get me going "oh my god" and "what the fuck?!" out loud in the middle of the night..
  • There are some times when the romance turned me off. That's either because my main focus while reading is the mystery in it or because I thought they were too much of something that I don't get them.
  • There are some things in the plot that I found irrelevant. Especially the Palmer case. I can't quite point out how it's related to the actual plotline and it confused me a lot. Although I have this tickling idea that it's gonna be connected to the bigger picture someday.
  • [refer to the previous bullet] The good thing about that one though, (specifically the court scene) is that we got to learn/understand more about Mara's supernatural abilities.
  • Mara's ability was sort of predictable for me. I'm not sure if everyone felt it coming too, but personally, I have because I sort of went back to read the plot summary [the one in the copyrights page] and the letter a lot of times that I literally just waited for the explanation.
  • Let's talk about the ending. This bullet could either be a pro or a con, depending on how you're gonna see it. Ever since Noah confessed his thing to Mara, the story sort of started to get vague for me. Maybe it's because of all the information being put into my brain all at once, I don't know, but since then I felt disconnected to the story. Especially when the scene when they went to the court came up. I can't point out the focus of the story anymore. Like there's too much information and subplots and irrelevant mystery for them to encounter all at once it confused me. Or maybe it's really just me, because since that scene, I started getting all clammy and nervous for what's happening because I've been driven crazy byt this time. (Because holler, I read about more than half of the novel to the end and that was like 3AM.)
  • Another thing for the beautifully written bullet. The novel is so beautifully written I actually thought I was going crazy. Really.
  • To sum it all up, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is a crazy, funny, witty and dark read. It got me laughing one minute, then searching for a hug the next.

Favorite scene:
  • When Noah Shaw first meets the family and/or the first time Mara and Noah conversed.

Least favorite scene:
  • That time when Mara and Noah saved Joseph from the swamp.

One quote you liked:
“Thinking something does not make it true. Wanting something does not make it real.”
“You could start a fire with the heat between you two."
"You're mistaking bitter animosity for heartfelt affection."
(this is my fave convo)

Make a three to five song playlist for the novel:

Rate it by stars/rubber ducks:

3 ducks!
  • I'm most definitely gonna read the next book because I've seen reviews saying that it's gonna be better than this one, but for now, here's all the ducks I can give.

Would you recommend it?
  • Why not?

Last words:
  • 8123 tour Manila tomorrow and I'm nOT ATTENDING (for real this time because you know, I semi-lied during Bazooka Rocks 2). Yes, I am sad. But I have prepared a schedule for me to follow tomorrow so I won't sulk.

'Til next time!

:---)

P.S. Suggest/recommend an album I could listen to by leaving them in the comments. I beg of you.
P.P.S. Please don't give me an electronic/pop album. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment