The Beginning of Everything: A Review


(spoilers ahead!)
What do you think is under the title?
  • There are two things in the book that made me thought that maybe it's the reason why the novel is entitled as such. One; being the accident/the very beginning wherein Ezra's all believing that we all have a tragedy in life where everything changes and the things that actually matter start there and two; the ending.

Summarize the story in your own words:
  • We have Ezra Faulkner. He believes that "everyone's life, no matter how unremarkable, has a moment when it will become extraordinary". He's the school's golden boy-- until the accident.  And so after breaking his knee during a car accident, his life turns upside down (he scoots out of the popular kids' table, joins the debate team) and he gets to meet another sweet tragedy that is Cassidy Thorpe.

In general: (didn't like it, okay, liked it, loved it)
  • I loved it.
Why?
  • I cried over this novel twice and I don't even know if it's normal. (Or my way of releasing stress because it's hell week but lol who cares about my stress)
  • I liked the main character. You can consider this biased because the main character and narrator of the story is a male specie, but really, if we put it properly, Ezra really is just a very likeable character. He's got his wit, sarcasm, (terrible puns) and brains despite him being a jock and all. He's just very adorable, relate-able and such a man it's infuriating.
  • The minor characters. I loved every single one of them. They're unique in the own special ways but equally alike at the same time. I liked Ezra's friendship with Toby a lot. Since he said that after "the accident/tragedy", it's when you're gonna find the things that actually matter and their friendship is one of those wonderful things.
  • The narration is very teenager-y. I mean, there's just so much teenage spirit in it. You can feel the character as though he's actually human. He's real. Not like those dreamy male leads to the point that they're Gary Sue. Ezra is the type of character you could relate to, and see yourself in a lot of times. He makes this connection with the readers that make you feel like you belong or that he's just well, a living person.
  • The plot. I liked how it started off they way it did. I liked how he first gave us a perspective on his way of seeing life after everything and then introduced his past and present life altogether. This novel actually reminded me of Stargirl a lot because of the "eccentric" lady character thing but well, it isn't like that at all. I thought Ezra's gonna be another Leo but nope, definitely not.
  • The romance plays a huge part in the whole novel and let's put it in a word: heartbreaking. Although it was understandable in some way, it just won't let your heart stay still while you absorb all the information: it just hurts. It gets to the point during the ending when you'd just sigh and say: "oh well, it was good while it lasted" or realize that maybe, just maybe, things are better off that way.
  • I remember reading a novel before with a plot twist like this (cough cough-Crash-cough cough) and I've got to say that things like this aren't really things I usually read, but I get to enjoy later on despite the achy-breaky revelations and turn of events. Although the said novel (aka Crash) had a good twist into it and this novel didn't, I think this is more realistic in so many levels. (Because fun fact: Crash is sort of Mary Sue-d for me.)
  • Lastly, how can we not talk about all those nerd references? I mean come on, I just love them every single time. (Especially those Doctor Who ones. woop woop)
  • The Beginning of Everything is a very witty and heartbreaking novel. It would make you feel warm and fuzzy, [possibly] sad and good about the things that come after.

Favorite scene:
  • That day when they sneaked into a university to prepare for debate. Dibs on the flower crown scene.

Least favorite scene:
  • Cooper. (that's all there is to say)
Quote/s you liked:
“Words could betray you if you chose the wrong ones, or mean less if you used too many. Jokes could be grandly miscalculated, or stories deemed boring,"
“The funny thing about gold is how quickly it can tarnish.” 

Make a three to five song playlist for the novel:

Rate it by stars/rubber ducks:
five ducks!
  
Would you recommend it?
  • I do! I strongly recommend you read it!

Last words:
  • Christmas vacation is up!
  • (I don't know what I'm doing this holiday.)
  • Christmas wishlist: teddy bear, more bracelets for my arm parties
  • The photo on the header is from another edition's cover of the same novel.
Have a great holiday(s), everyone!

'Til next time!

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment