The Rules for Disappearing: A Review

Hello! First and foremost, let me just tell you that I've not written anything the past (almost) two weeks because I took a college admission test. (The CAT for my dream university, for that matter.) And then I'm on for one again. Tomorrow. Wish me luck?

Anywaaaaaaayy, this week, I'm talking 'bout The Rules for Disappearing by Ashley Elston! [spoiler-free talk under the cut!]



What do you think is under the title?
  • Meg transfer places a lot, so she came up with rules to live by to not cause big things in a place they move into.

In general: (didn't like it, okay, liked it, loved it)
  • It wasn't really my type of novel.


Why?
While I've been reading a lot of good reviews on this novel everywhere, I found myself sort of  not-quite-agreeing-but-not-entirely-disagreeing to what others had to say about The Rules for Disappearing. I just found out that it wasn''t particularly something I would find enticing. I'll give you several reasons as to why I didn't like it as much as others did:
  • I wasn't a fan of the main character. You all know how important it is to me that the main character is likeable in my eyes. I tried to like Meg, I swear. But I really just happened not to. I thought she was whiny and immature. I also thought she was reckless and impulsive--she seems to do things without thinking them through first.
  • I wasn't a fan of the main male character either. I didn't think he was cute. I thought he was too curious for his own good.  (Although I'm pretty sure that's his point/that's who he's supposed to be. In that sense, good job.)
  • (I'll get down to business, goshdarnit.) The writing. I liked the Rules for Disappearing stuff at the start of every chapter a lot. But I didn't like the writing so much. Well, it being the voice of our main character who happened to be someone I'm not so much of a fan of...? I thought it was too detailed? I mean, it could've worked fine if it needed so much details, but in my opinion, I didn't think it did. I thought it would've worked better with less detail and more comprehensive stuff besides all the description (and "Oh my god, he's so cute").
  • The plot/concept. This is not a negative bullet. I actually happened to really like the concept. I've never read anything about Witness Protection before and it was refreshing. It also contained quite a lot of plot twists and mysterious people. The last plot twist we were given was THE BOMB. It's the reason why I want to read the sequel.



Rate it by stars/rubber ducks:
Three ducks!!

Would you recommend it?
  • If you like novels with people with a lot of identity and farm life, maybe you should give it a try. (Who am I to stop you?)

Last words:
  • I'm trying out a new thing for the review headers! (This one's quite a failure, though?) 
  • Would you recommend that I read The Rules for Breaking? Is it any better than the first? Let me know!
 'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment