Before You: A Review

Please tell me you're not sick of the header photo yet. Thank you. You might've been aware that I had the privilege to interview the lovely Amber Hart for the release of her debut novel, Before You, on the blog just days ago and now I'm reviewing it! I've mentioned this a lot wherever and whenever I can and now I'm glad I get to babble about this. So yes, without any more further ado, let me tell you that this week, I'm reviewing Before You by Amber Hart!



What do you think is under the title?
  • I'd say it's entitled as such because of the romantic element wherein it's like "life was different before you"? (That's me trying to be cheesy. Please don't laugh at me.)

In general: (didn't like it, okay, liked it, loved it)
  • I LOVED IT.

Why?
  • This novel came to me in the perfect time. The last I read before finishing this novel was good, but happened not to be my cup of tea and so I have started to look for a contemporary novel with a substance. And was I amazing at making the decision to read this next.
  • I had not expected the novel to turn out like this at all. I actually hadn't expected anything in the novel before I plunged into it. The synopsis for me was sort of... meh. It jumped into me as one of your regular new adult/young adult romance and I scrolled through it on Netgalley a lot of times. But sometimes, I make impulsive decisions and those impulsive decisions happen to result to some things amazing.
  • What captured my attention is the cover. IT'S GORGEOUS!! I just love covers with B&W on them + a color or two that makes it stand out And the diversity. It's rare that I come across novels like these and so I knew I had to give it a try.
  • I liked the characters a lot. Diego reminded me of Perry from the Under the Never Sky trilogy, for some reason. Although the Spanish seemed out of place sometimes... "Out of place" in a sense that you know, he suddenly just blurts out Spanish words? Faith! I liked her. I understood her about hiding in masks that people expect her to wear and to be the kind of person she isn't. I thought a lot of other teenagers could maybe see themselves in that concept, but I sort of don't get the whole "get out of my facade" thing. Is she actually a party animal in a church girl's clothes? Although I appreciated the realness within the characters. What I liked about them most are their flaws. And how no matter how different they might seem, they found connections and intersections within and through those flaws.
  • Let's talk about the writing!! I didn't have any issues with it. Oh wait, I have one. The ones in italic sort of seemed out of place sometimes. I actually thought about compiling all of them, thinking it might be a poem or another story or something. But I learned to cope with it. Other than that, I thought it was beautiful. Diego's and Faith's voices are strong and I loved how the author laced her words together to form a beautifully told narrative.
  • The romance. I had issues about this because I thought it was too fast? Last I remember, they loathe each other for being so different and stuff. Next thing I know, they're mad over each other. It felt weird to me. As to I'm not used to fast-paced romances, but I learned o get used to it and next thing I know, I'm giggling and squealing over everything. And yes, even in public.
  • Overall, Before You is a fast-paced, romantic, and beautifully written romance novel with a substance. It has definitely made it on the list of my favorites of all time in no time.

Quotes you liked:
"Hope is a beautiful thing--dangerous, but beautiful"


Make a three to five song playlist for the novel:




Rate it by stars/rubber ducks:
Would you recommend it?
  • Yes, yes, yes.

Last words:
  • Thank you, Netgalley + K-Teen for giving me the opportunity to read and review this novel! 
  • If you haven't read the interview with Amber yet, check this out
  • I caaaaaaaaan't wait for After Us (Melissa + Javier aaaaaaayy)

'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment