REVIEW: We Were Liars

BOOK DETAILS:
title: We Were Liars
author: E. Lockhart
series: none; standalone
publisher: Hot Key Books
pub date: May 15th, 2014
genre: contemporary, mystery, thriller
format acquired: paperback; borrowed
synopsis:
A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.
 
We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart.

Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.

REVIEW:
What do you think is under the title?
  • Our main character, Cady, has a group of cousins + friend and they call themselves the Liars. I think it's pretty much about it.

In general: (didn't like it, okay, liked it, loved it)
  • I hate hate hate thinking about it because it drives me crazy.


Why?
This novel is crazy. Crazy good. Crazy mysterious. Crazy amazing. This isn't a novel you'd want to spoil. This is a novel you'd want to read yourself to experience the truck of emotions that's about to crash into you when you learn the truth. This is a novel that just keeps you--and will keep you-- intrigued unless you get to it firsthand.
 
 Excuse me while I still let all the details sink in. I shit you not, I spoiled myself over it. A few minutes before I found out the truth, I managed to flip the page on a spoiler.

But it still broke me.

I didn't cry whatsoever because besides the fact that I've been spoiled, I've also sort of saw it coming. But oh my god bloody hell, I still can't believe it. I think I need to read it again. I think I need an audiobook so it feels more real.

It's just so surreal. I swear no amount of spoiling would change that fact that it's so bloody shocking. Oh my god. Okay.

Is this even a coherent review? Obviously not. But I gave it four stars because it's just so intriguing and creepy about three-fourths of the time! I loved the stories within it so much and the dogs!!! So! Many! Dogs! but yes, anyway,

We Were Liars is, truly, a shocking and poignant book. It's so mysterious it makes you keep on flipping the pages until you're finished. It's so bloody good you'd want to read it again just so you know it's real.
 


Quotes you liked:
“Be a little kinder than you have to.”
 
 “What if we could stop being different colors, different backgrounds, and just be in love?” 
 






Make a three to five song playlist for the novel:
  • The Things We Lost in The Fire - Bastille


Rate it by stars/rubber ducks:
four ducks!


Would you recommend it?
  • YES.


Last words:
  • Seriously, just read it. I'll be here for when you need someone to talk to.



'Til next time!
-maia

No comments:

Post a Comment