Since Forever Ago: A Review

BOOK DETAILS:
title: Since Forever Ago
author: Olivia Besse
series: none; standalone
publisher: Wunderland Press
pub date: May 11th, 2014
genre: new adult, contemporary, romance, chick lit
format acquired: kindle edition; for review
links: goodreads, amazon, author site
synopsis:
Fresh off the heels of a devastating breakup, Riley Benson is a mess. But with her ingenious plan to become a ball-busting heartbreaker herself, she’s pretty sure she’ll survive. After all, what better way is there to get revenge than to move on?
Riley’s determined to become the perfect bachelorette—she’s going to drink like a bro, belch like a beast and swear so much that she’ll make even the most seasoned sailors blush. After all, those are the qualities that every guy’s secretly looking for…. aren’t they?
Max Fletcher is in love with the girl who gave him chicken pox and his first broken leg. When his best friend seems to finally be out of the picture, he can’t help but want to keep Riley all to himself. And, after coaching her with the very best of the very worst love advice, it seems as if he might actually get what he's wanted after all those years. But just as the two come to the realization that they're actually kind of perfect for each other, along comes a secret that threatens to tear them apart.
REVIEW:

In general: (didn't like it, okay, liked it, loved it)
  • I liked it quite a lot!

Why?
This is, without a doubt, is the funniest novel I've read this year. And no, I don't mean this in a bad way--I mean this in the nicest way possible.

I don't actually quite get all the hate this novel is getting. Riley wasn't immature and/or whiny. She was a girl dealing with the aftershocks of a break up and while I don't completely immerse myself into it, I understood it. The cussing. I think, at one point, we could all agree that it's too much, but really, let's be real here: that's how people [students, specifically] nowadays (and before, I'm sure) express themselves. The author decides to be truthful, and I suppose there's nothing wrong with that.

Have I mentioned earlier that it's funny? Riley is ridiculous. The writing was well, both amusing and entertaining. It shines with the main character's personality and ideas in life. Although I admit, she was sort of stupid and too... out there, I sort of just want to give her a pat in the back while whispering "There, there" every now and then. Despite that, though, I don't think the novel would have worked if she wasn't like that.

The romance. I've come to the conclusion that it's something that would've seem super cliché if written wrong. And thankfully, it wasn't. Although cheeky at times, it worked for me because of the, well, the funny. Actually, if I were to summarize the whole of my review, I'd say that it all comes down to the character--Riley. She plays the biggest role in the whole foundation of the novel because of the fact that she's the main character. She's the one who gives the novel life, and give it life, she does.

Since Forever Ago is one of those novels you pick up when you're on a binge and in need of a novel to keep you company on a trip or a free hour. Or anything, really. If you have some time to spend with a book and are not sure which title to pick up, this would always, always work for you.


Rate by rubber ducks:
three and a half ducks!

Would you recommend it?
  • Yes. This novel got me out of my One Day book binge.

Last words:
  • Thank you, Netgalley and Wunderland Press for the opportunity! 'Twas fun.
'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment